Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wards Lathe

Does anyone anything about a Montgomery Wards Power Kraft model
14TLC-699,-700 ? I think it was made by Logan. Any opinions about whether
this might be a good starter lathe. Also, any known issues with this series
or model.

Comments and opinions appreciated.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone anything about a Montgomery Wards Power Kraft model
14TLC-699,-700 ? I think it was made by Logan. Any opinions about whether
this might be a good starter lathe. Also, any known issues with this

series
or model.

Comments and opinions appreciated.

Mike

I have no idea as to what this model is, but I own a Logan that is the same
age as I am... (We're
both 1946 models... Only it's in better shape...). IMO, Logans are first
rate machines. Parts
support on them remains very good. If it is, in fact, a Logan and if it
hasn't been ruined, I'd say,
go for it.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:38:13 GMT, "Mike"
wrote:

Does anyone anything about a Montgomery Wards Power Kraft model
14TLC-699,-700 ? I think it was made by Logan. Any opinions about whether
this might be a good starter lathe. Also, any known issues with this series
or model.

Since I am biased, I won't try to comment on the quality, but it was a
popular lathe, and many are still in use.

Yes, it was built by Logan Engineering Co., for Montgomery Wards, this
one probably around 1941. This is a 10" x 24", similar to, but not
the same as, a Logan Model 210.

NEW Parts, accessories and manuals are still available from us.

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now that is very impressive!!
66 years later and still suppyling parts.
Not many companies can say that.
Clay

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:55:05 -0800, "Clay" wrote:

Now that is very impressive!!
66 years later and still suppyling parts.
Not many companies can say that.
Clay

You would have to meet Scott in person to understand
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Does anyone anything about a Montgomery Wards Power Kraft model
14TLC-699,-700 ? I think it was made by Logan. Any opinions about
whether this might be a good starter lathe. Also, any known issues
with this series or model.

Since I am biased, I won't try to comment on the quality, but it was a
popular lathe, and many are still in use.

Yes, it was built by Logan Engineering Co., for Montgomery Wards, this
one probably around 1941. This is a 10" x 24", similar to, but not
the same as, a Logan Model 210.

NEW Parts, accessories and manuals are still available from us.

I , however WILL comment on the quality .
In a word , superb . My 10X30 PowrKraft is also as old as I am , and will
still turn a part to within a half-thou . I could get closer if I levelled
it better ... which will happen when I move it to our not-yet-built new digs
in Arkansas .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So, $400 if there are no major problems would probably be a pretty good
deal? I was looking for something like a 9" x 20" but this might be better.

Thanks for all the responses and it's good to know parts are readily
available.

Mike
"Snag" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike wrote:
So, $400 if there are no major problems would probably be a pretty
good deal? I was looking for something like a 9" x 20" but this might
be better.
Thanks for all the responses and it's good to know parts are readily
available.

Mike

$400 is a good price , I gave almost double that for mine . Mine still
has AFAIK all the original goodies (follow rest , steady , live and dead
centers , two chucks , etc) , and came with a bunch of spare parts . If this
one still has all the goodies , you need to jump on it quick .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Help squash SPAM:http://www.cauce.org/- Hide quoted text -

The Logan lathe is a good machine and Scott is an excellent person.

I would rather have a Logan than a South Bend....and I have had
several of both brands...guess which ones I kept?

The name starts with a "L".

TMT