Nocturnal1

Default Wards Signature 2000 TV - no service support anywhere?

Hi all,
I have my Mom's not too old 20" TV which is a Wards Signature 2000 model
JSJ12022 Suffix A. It is probably a victim of a lightning hit. I can see a
burned diode on the board - so burned, in fact, that the solder has melted
on the other side of the board on the diode leads and leads to a couple caps
and resistors near it. I have the owner's manual - but there is no schematic
in it. An exhaustive search of the net reveals nothing - not even a source
of any Wards service info that I could take this to. I know the unit was
built by SHARP in Sept 1994. It was distributed by JRI Distributing, Inc;
619 West Chicago Ave, Chicago 60671. I seriously doubt if JRI has servicing
info, tho. Probably just some guy who rented a warehouse back then. The main
board has numbers: (P8269PE) and PWBF8269PE and also DUNTK8269WE and also
8269V3. I searched on all these numbers on the net. The only results I could
find in my search were that Wards is defunct. bankrupt, and any service
agreements are taken in the shorts...

The problem:
The burned diode is D752, with scorched areas at C725 and R754. I don't want
to just stick in "any" diode and plug it in, of course.. The set does not
come on - I hear a click after the power switch is pushed but nothing else.
Nothing else is burning - the damage is complete. Does anyone have a service
manual or a Sams Photofact number for this TV?

~Tom in Mn
nocone (at uslink) (--dot--) net

Ray

Try visiting Howard Sams website.
http://www.samswebsite.com/photofact/pf_search.asp

I didn't see your model listed, but you may e-mail them to inquire if they
can get or have info on a similar chassis.

I also believe Sears picked up some responsibility for some Wards maint
contracts, but not sure if TVs were included. Didn't find any info on Sears
site.

"Nocturnal1" wrote in message
[...]

Nocturnal1

Still no luck and no responses here - anyone????

Nocturnal1

Thanks, Ray. I checked and could find nothing even CLOSE...
The photofact search engine really reeks, too - can't browse like most (that
I can see).
~Tom

"Nocturnal1" wrote in message
Still no luck and no responses here - anyone????

LASERandDVDfan

Well, the only solution I could offer is to try to look for service literature
for a Sharp TV set of the same year and type that is as close as possible in
design. - Reinhart

Mike

I think its demanding too much current, or over time heat just killed it.

I had the same issues with my currently working NEC projection set, (yes the
picture tubes are shot, IMHO i think generics would work). I replaced and
resoldered the diodes, and it works great, so try that. They just die with
heat, but then again, your HOT could be bad.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
Well, the only solution I could offer is to try to look for service

literature
for a Sharp TV set of the same year and type that is as close as possible

in
design. - Reinhart

H. R. Bob Hofmann

"Mike" wrote in message ...
I think its demanding too much current, or over time heat just killed it.

I had the same issues with my currently working NEC projection set, (yes the
picture tubes are shot, IMHO i think generics would work). I replaced and
resoldered the diodes, and it works great, so try that. They just die with
heat, but then again, your HOT could be bad.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
Well, the only solution I could offer is to try to look for service

literature
for a Sharp TV set of the same year and type that is as close as possible

in
design. - Reinhart

It's a nine year old set, plug in the diode and see what happens. It
isn't worth anything to fix, except the satisfaction of fixing it,
unfortunately.
H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
Nocturnal1

Thanks to all who replied. I will try a new diode and resolder the board
connections that melted and see if it does the job. What've I got to lose?
~Tom

Ryobi - lousy local warranty service, no parts in stock? larrymoencurly Woodworking 22 April 18th 04 05:08 PM
OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD? Gunner Metalworking 127 December 18th 03 01:36 PM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM
Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM