Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Milling Aluminum update

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Thanks for the help! A climb feed with a bit of cutting fluid at high speed
and the finished cuts are free of welded swarf and the finish looks
professional. I'll post pix of the assemblies before they get too
dirty...provided they work right. The prototype works but we all know that
doesn't count for much. Damn, I love Aluminum!

Glad that your project is working.

When I roughed out my indicator base out of aluminum I pulled out my little
slipstick for speeds and for carbide tooling it it listed surface speed per
minute as max. My only concern was just how deep to bury the inserted
cutter.

Did your bridgeport feel like it was on steroids?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Thanks for the help! A climb feed with a bit of cutting fluid at high
speed
and the finished cuts are free of welded swarf and the finish looks
professional. I'll post pix of the assemblies before they get too
dirty...provided they work right. The prototype works but we all know
that
doesn't count for much. Damn, I love Aluminum!

Glad that your project is working.

When I roughed out my indicator base out of aluminum I pulled out my
little
slipstick for speeds and for carbide tooling it it listed surface speed
per
minute as max. My only concern was just how deep to bury the inserted
cutter.

Did your bridgeport feel like it was on steroids?

Wes

Since I bought this new one last year, we are still getting to know each
other. There are some things I don't like. It makes no noise, my old one
"spoke" to me. It has no character, I haven't found the "edge" yet. It
doesn't provoke the feeling of accomplishment when I finish an operation, it
just does the work and kind of says: "Ho-hum, is that the best you got?"
I had to learn how to make drawings differently with the DRO in mind. I had
to learn how to mill all over again as the new BP is absolutely perfect and
now an operation takes a quarter of the time so planning a milling session
is crucial to taking advantage of the increase in productivity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Since I bought this new one last year, we are still getting to know each
other. There are some things I don't like. It makes no noise, my old one
"spoke" to me. It has no character, I haven't found the "edge" yet. It
doesn't provoke the feeling of accomplishment when I finish an operation, it
just does the work and kind of says: "Ho-hum, is that the best you got?"
I had to learn how to make drawings differently with the DRO in mind. I had
to learn how to mill all over again as the new BP is absolutely perfect and
now an operation takes a quarter of the time so planning a milling session
is crucial to taking advantage of the increase in productivity.

We should have your problems

I've worked off of dials many time but never cared for it. DRO's are the
way to go.

I find baseline / ordinate dimensioning seems to work best. I bet the old
timers that used indicators and buttons liked a different dimensioning style
drawn by someone that understood their workflow.

Wes

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Since I bought this new one last year... It makes no noise, my old one
"spoke" to me.

My old Delta Rockwell 21-100 vertical mill, when cutting Aluminum,
squeals like a stuck pig.

When cutting steel, it can only make a pound chips per hour, and shakes
like Elvis.

My old mill speaks to me, and says, "Buy a new mill, you old cheapskate!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote in :

When I roughed out my indicator base out of aluminum I pulled out my
little slipstick for speeds and for carbide tooling it it listed
surface speed per minute as max. My only concern was just how deep to
bury the inserted cutter.

I was milling some 6061 Friday, 13/16" 4-flute hss EM, well used Deckel
FP3, taking 20 mm depth of cut, 3 mm step over when climbing, 4 - 5 mm on
the conventional pass, 1250 rpm, 250 mm/min Feed. It wasn't complaining
too badly. When you get too heavy of a step-over on a deep cut, it will
start squalling.

--
Anthony

better idiots.