Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advice on how to make 0.010" steel prototypes.

I need to fabricate about 90 electrical contacts 0.010" for a plastic
prototype.

9 curved parts 0.370" wide can fabricated and cut out of a 0.010" shim
washer 3" dia x 2.26" inner diameter.

Each part has clearance holes for a 6-32 screw (0.150") and a 0.150"
slot that follows the arc.

My thinking is to stack a bunch of disks, drill the holes, and mill
the slots.

Next, separate and shear to cut the parts.

Do you have a better plan?

Anyone willing to take on this job?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 30 , 8 02 , BoyntonStu wrote:
I need to fabricate about 90 electrical contacts 0.010" for a plastic
prototype.

9 curved parts 0.370" wide can fabricated and cut out of a 0.010" shim
washer 3" dia x 2.26" inner diameter.

Each part has clearance holes for a 6-32 screw (0.150") and a 0.150"
slot that follows the arc.

My thinking is to stack a bunch of disks, drill the holes, and mill
the slots.

Next, separate and shear to cut the parts.

Do you have a better plan?

Anyone willing to take on this job?

i am seastone,sell sony ps3,motorola nokia mobie and so on,if you
like it ,pls tell me.
msn:so.tlong(at)hotmail.com
skype:seastone1314
email:shixiaowu1314(at)sina.com.cn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BoyntonStu" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to fabricate about 90 electrical contacts 0.010" for a plastic
prototype.

9 curved parts 0.370" wide can fabricated and cut out of a 0.010" shim
washer 3" dia x 2.26" inner diameter.

Each part has clearance holes for a 6-32 screw (0.150") and a 0.150"
slot that follows the arc.

My thinking is to stack a bunch of disks, drill the holes, and mill
the slots.

Next, separate and shear to cut the parts.

Do you have a better plan?

Anyone willing to take on this job?

Is outsourcing to a laser cutter an option?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 8:58 am, "Robbo" wrote:
"BoyntonStu" wrote in message

ups.com...

I need to fabricate about 90 electrical contacts 0.010" for a plastic
prototype.

9 curved parts 0.370" wide can fabricated and cut out of a 0.010" shim
washer 3" dia x 2.26" inner diameter.

Each part has clearance holes for a 6-32 screw (0.150") and a 0.150"
slot that follows the arc.

My thinking is to stack a bunch of disks, drill the holes, and mill
the slots.

Next, separate and shear to cut the parts.

Do you have a better plan?

Anyone willing to take on this job?

Is outsourcing to a laser cutter an option?

Yes, it is.

However the shape is a segment of an arc and all the holes are cut on
the same circumference.

Why make all the arc shaped cuts if a single disk can be stamped?

Do you have a laser cutter?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 05:02:10 -0700, BoyntonStu
wrote:

I need to fabricate about 90 electrical contacts 0.010" for a plastic
prototype.

9 curved parts 0.370" wide can fabricated and cut out of a 0.010" shim
washer 3" dia x 2.26" inner diameter.

Each part has clearance holes for a 6-32 screw (0.150") and a 0.150"
slot that follows the arc.

My thinking is to stack a bunch of disks, drill the holes, and mill
the slots.

Next, separate and shear to cut the parts.

Do you have a better plan?

Anyone willing to take on this job?

===========
Good job for a laser. You should also consider etching or
chemical milling if it is accurate enough. Make of a silk screen
for the resist or use a photo resist.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 8:58 am, "Robbo" wrote:
[...]

I don't have a laser, over the years I've had a variety of electrical
connector plates and some optical component metalwork cut from thin
stainless sheet by the local. One part was an 'aperture pin wheel' that sat
on a ~25mm bearing, the apertures were down to ~ 1mm on a shared
circumference. I'm a metalcraft novice - just thought laser cutting may
have been an option. Good luck.