Posted to rec.woodworking
tribalwind

Default 6"+ steel spring clamps, "pony" style?

hello'
hope this type of post is kosher here
i'm trying to find a source for a whole bunch of spring clamps,
ive seen alot of junky metal and plastic ones on ebay, but the decent
ones on there were very pricey i thought..

i need 100 to 200 decent quality spring clamps for ongoing small
"glue-up"projects.. i live in long island NY.
2"mouth would be minimum.some larger sizes would be good as well
maybe..
any ideas please let me know
much appreciated.
Matt att tribalwind d0t c0m.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
tribalwind wrote:
hello'
hope this type of post is kosher here
i'm trying to find a source for a whole bunch of spring clamps,
ive seen alot of junky metal and plastic ones on ebay, but the decent
ones on there were very pricey i thought..

i need 100 to 200 decent quality spring clamps for ongoing small
"glue-up"projects.. i live in long island NY.
2"mouth would be minimum.some larger sizes would be good as well
maybe..
any ideas please let me know
much appreciated.
Matt att tribalwind d0t c0m.

I know that a few years ago, home Depot sold a decent 2" capacity
spring clamp for a buck. Over a period of a few months, I bought one or
two every time I went there, til I had about 20 or so.

But, here's an idea that you may be able to use rather than spending
$100-200 on spring clamps. Buy or scrounge a length of 4" or 6" PVC
pipe. Cut it into 1" lengths. I've done it on the tablesaw, which does
a nice job but the plastic sawdust is a mess. Then make a single cut
radially, so that when you spread the piece of pipe, it is in a 'C'
shape. Just spread them apart by hand, then let the edges come back
together over the surfaces you are clamping. You can make a second cut
if necessary to allow for somewhat thicker workpieces.

Not my idea, I don't remember where I first saw it, but it's commonly
used in small boat building to clamp a gunwhale (sp?) around the
sides of a boat.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland