Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default master link expert

I've just put together 160 chain master links. That much practice makes you
real good.

My favorite tool turned out to be a dentist pick for installing the spring
clip.

1.slide spring clip into place on one end.

2. put pick on inside of clip opposite end. Lift and rotate clip over other
pin on master link.

3. push down with thumb on back side of clip opposite dentist pick.

4. use pick to push other side of clip into place.

Goes faster than it took to write this. Or, least after you've done a 100 or
so for practice.

Karl "very sore fingers" Townsend

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Karl Townsend wrote:
I've just put together 160 chain master links. That much practice makes you
real good.

My favorite tool turned out to be a dentist pick for installing the spring
clip.

1.slide spring clip into place on one end.

2. put pick on inside of clip opposite end. Lift and rotate clip over other
pin on master link.

3. push down with thumb on back side of clip opposite dentist pick.

4. use pick to push other side of clip into place.

Goes faster than it took to write this. Or, least after you've done a 100 or
so for practice.

Karl "very sore fingers" Townsend

Obviously not 1" chain. :-)
BTW Closed end facing right way?

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
I've just put together 160 chain master links. That much practice
makes you real good.

My favorite tool turned out to be a dentist pick for installing the
spring clip.

1.slide spring clip into place on one end.

2. put pick on inside of clip opposite end. Lift and rotate clip
over other pin on master link.

3. push down with thumb on back side of clip opposite dentist pick.

4. use pick to push other side of clip into place.

Goes faster than it took to write this. Or, least after you've done
a 100 or so for practice.

Karl "very sore fingers" Townsend

Obviously not 1" chain. :-)
BTW Closed end facing right way?

Tom

Oh , that was mean !
I found the easiest for me was to lay the clip onto the first post with
the open ends against the other post . Push with a screwdriver .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BTW Closed end facing right way?

Got 158 out of 160 the right way. Had another 20 where I'd permanently
sprung the clip open a bit. The SO checked my work. She's real good at
finding my mistakesVBG

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use needle nose vise-grips... Good ones... I'm takeing apart about
150 metric chains on textile machines...
The hardest part is finding the master link....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

BTW Closed end facing right way?

Got 158 out of 160 the right way. Had another 20 where I'd permanently
sprung the clip open a bit. The SO checked my work. She's real good at
finding my mistakesVBG

Good for her! Someone has to keep an eye on you! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida