Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HDTV

SWMBO said " flat screen TV " so I jumped. Settled on a Vizio 42 inch
1080P. $1039 at Sears plus tax.

They don't stock them in the store, so don't have the tv home. But am
planning on making my own wall mount. Should be simple enough. Plate
screws to TV. Another screws to wall. And the one hangs on the
other. I took a quick measurement of the distance between the
mounting holes on the TV. Must be metric because they did not come
out nice round numbers on my tape measure.

But before I start cutting metal, has anyone else done this? Any
tips, good ideas, things to avoid?
Yeppers, this is on topic.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:35:21 -0700, "
wrote:

SWMBO said " flat screen TV " so I jumped. Settled on a Vizio 42 inch
1080P. $1039 at Sears plus tax.

They don't stock them in the store, so don't have the tv home. But am
planning on making my own wall mount. Should be simple enough. Plate
screws to TV. Another screws to wall. And the one hangs on the
other. I took a quick measurement of the distance between the
mounting holes on the TV. Must be metric because they did not come
out nice round numbers on my tape measure.

But before I start cutting metal, has anyone else done this? Any
tips, good ideas, things to avoid?
Yeppers, this is on topic.

Haven't done one myself, but I've looked at what's on the market and
thought seriously about it if I couldn't find exactly what I need...

Rule One: Make it heavier than it appears to need to be, because
even though those TV's aren't heavy there is all that leverage to
consider - a light weight hanging out on a very long arm is still
applying a lot of force at the wall attachment point.

Spread the load to two different wall studs, locate the stud
precisely, and get lag bolts into the dead center meaty part of those
studs with some decent vertical spacing to handle the shear loads.
Two bolts at the top is mo' better, those are under tension.

Rule Two: Very expensive things will happen if you ever get woke
out of a sound sleep to hear the mount go SNAP! at 2 AM. Followed
immediately by assorted crashing and cracking sounds...

Oh, and when in doubt plan for both tilt and swivel - some sets
really do need to be tilted to face the primary viewing position if
you are sitting at an angle well below or above eye level. A lot of
the "over fireplace" mounts have tilt but no swivel, and if the
recliners are off-center in the room you'll be changing the mount.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would just buy a good swiveling arm style mount. We have it and it
would be difficult to make one as nice (and more expensive when billed
for $5/hr for the time worked).

Use proper fasteners too. Do not skimp on fasteners.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 7:35 pm, " wrote:
SWMBO said " flat screen TV " so I jumped. Settled on a Vizio 42 inch
1080P. $1039 at Sears plus tax.

They don't stock them in the store, so don't have the tv home. But am
planning on making my own wall mount. Should be simple enough. Plate
screws to TV. Another screws to wall. And the one hangs on the
other. I took a quick measurement of the distance between the
mounting holes on the TV. Must be metric because they did not come
out nice round numbers on my tape measure.

But before I start cutting metal, has anyone else done this? Any
tips, good ideas, things to avoid?
Yeppers, this is on topic.

Dan

Has anyone seen any HDTV portables?

Like in the handheld size?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
SWMBO said " flat screen TV " so I jumped. Settled on a Vizio 42 inch
1080P. $1039 at Sears plus tax.

They don't stock them in the store, so don't have the tv home. But am
planning on making my own wall mount. Should be simple enough. Plate
screws to TV. Another screws to wall. And the one hangs on the
other. I took a quick measurement of the distance between the
mounting holes on the TV. Must be metric because they did not come
out nice round numbers on my tape measure.

But before I start cutting metal, has anyone else done this? Any
tips, good ideas, things to avoid?
Yeppers, this is on topic.

Dan

Why reinvent the wheel? It probably has a standard VESA DIN mount and you
can buy a good one a bunch cheaper than you can make.

A quick look at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16824997813R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce sez:

"Rule Two: Very expensive things will happen if you ever get woke
out of a sound sleep to hear the mount go SNAP! at 2 AM. Followed
immediately by assorted crashing and cracking sounds..."

Second that Bruce ! An improper mount may not fall immediately, thus lulling you into a false sense
of security (accomplishment ?) It recently happened to us. A large painting in the bedroom came
crashing down early one morning. There's something about a loud crash and the sound of broken glass
that makes one reach for his home-defense weapon before completely assessing the situation. There
was nothing to shoot, though. The painting lay quite dead, already, on the carpet, garnished with
thousands of shards of glass.

It had been up there for 2 or 3 years, hung from the recommended size of standard picture hanging
loop-style hook; the type where the nail goes in at 45 degrees. Trouble was it was hung from
dry-wall because of the SWMBO's required location. Apparently, the sheet rock gradually gave way
over a period of time.

Fortunately, the painting or the frame was not damaged, only the glass broke. So, off I go to a
framing place to blow $40 on new, anti-glare glass. The frame guy goes," you should have hung it
from 2 hooks to better distribute the weight". Of course, SWMBO would not budge on the mounting
location, so I put in 2 hooks 4 inches apart. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the longevity
of those new hooks. I could visualize them both pulling out at some indeterminate time in the
future - possibly longer than before but still gradually working loose in the sheet rock. I
clipped the top off the hooks, enlarged the nail holes slightly and mounted them with Molly Bolts.

Bob Swinney

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I don't anticipate any problems making the mount. But as you say I
might be making it twice, as I plan on making it without any tilt or
swivel and have it as close to the wall as possible. Right now that
is what the customer wants.

The weight should be no problem either. The TV weighs just under 50
lbs and should not have a big lever arm as it is only 4 inches thick.
I am still pondering ideas and looking at the stock I have on hand,
but I expect whatever I do to be stronger than most of the store
bought mounts.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 8, 3:41 pm, "Robert Swinney" wrote:

Fortunately, the painting or the frame was not damaged, only the glass broke. So, off I go to a
framing place to blow $40 on new, anti-glare glass. The frame guy goes," you should have hung it
from 2 hooks to better distribute the weight". Of course, SWMBO would not budge on the mounting
location, so I put in 2 hooks 4 inches apart. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the longevity
of those new hooks. I could visualize them both pulling out at some indeterminate time in the
future - possibly longer than before but still gradually working loose in the sheet rock. I
clipped the top off the hooks, enlarged the nail holes slightly and mounted them with Molly Bolts.

Bob Swinney

Your mounting is probably more than adequate, but would be pretty much
bullet proof if you added some sheet metal about 4 inches by 18
inches. Anchor the sheet metal to two studs and then attach the hooks
where you want them using moly bolts thru the sheet metal and thru the
dry wall.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:08:11 -0500, Ignoramus11957
wrote:

I would just buy a good swiveling arm style mount. We have it and it
would be difficult to make one as nice (and more expensive when billed
for $5/hr for the time worked).

Use proper fasteners too. Do not skimp on fasteners.

I've looked at these to support just a 15 inch LCD computer
screen. Everything local is grossly overpriced IMO.

The measurements for the plate are available, I've looked
them up before and probably still have them located
somewhere on the hard drive. Be aware that more than one
pattern is used. The bigger the LCD the larger the pattern
plate. If you look at the commercial mounts they usually
have an X slot pattern to accommodate different sizes. There
was at least two sizes when I was looking to make one for my
puny little computer screen. A comparable device to what I
wanted was ~$300, more than what I paid for the LCD
itself...

I would probably mount a firring strip/bar across 2 to 3
studs to attach the wall side with some long deck style
screws.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't know about yours but it takes two sized men to pick up ours.
That sucker has a slab of glass on it!

The problem might be weight and liability. I'd go and buy the one they sell.
It is rated. Find a stud or make a strong wall point.

Ours is on a heavy table. It is plasma. I plasma cut - :-)

We bought it before LCD's were 1080 and real High def. We run three HD
able TV's - two are full HD - one internal - one external. The third does
nice work on 1080 since it has a high resolution screen already and had
internal circuits for early HD. (lucky on that one) - it is in my office.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
SWMBO said " flat screen TV " so I jumped. Settled on a Vizio 42 inch
1080P. $1039 at Sears plus tax.

They don't stock them in the store, so don't have the tv home. But am
planning on making my own wall mount. Should be simple enough. Plate
screws to TV. Another screws to wall. And the one hangs on the
other. I took a quick measurement of the distance between the
mounting holes on the TV. Must be metric because they did not come
out nice round numbers on my tape measure.

But before I start cutting metal, has anyone else done this? Any
tips, good ideas, things to avoid?
Yeppers, this is on topic.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
SWMBO said " flat screen TV " so I jumped. Settled on a Vizio 42 inch
1080P. $1039 at Sears plus tax.

They don't stock them in the store, so don't have the tv home. But am
planning on making my own wall mount. Should be simple enough. Plate
screws to TV. Another screws to wall. And the one hangs on the
other. I took a quick measurement of the distance between the
mounting holes on the TV. Must be metric because they did not come
out nice round numbers on my tape measure.

But before I start cutting metal, has anyone else done this? Any
tips, good ideas, things to avoid?
Yeppers, this is on topic.

Dan

----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----- Hide quoted text -

If you live in earthquake country, plan accordingly....that is alot of
weight hanging out there.

TMT

TV question and help (HDTV) [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 January 3rd 06 01:16 AM
Portable HDTV Set Too_Many_Tools Electronics Repair 27 October 31st 05 10:02 PM
HDTV dilema [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 February 21st 05 07:04 AM
HDTV twfsa Home Repair 19 November 24th 04 04:29 PM
HDTV: the end for servicers? Ray L. Volts Electronics Repair 25 July 22nd 03 07:39 PM