Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV question and help (HDTV)

no-archive:yes

I am just beginning to understan dhow all this works so I would
appreciate your help. I have some stations 30 miles away and about 80
miles away that broadcast HDTV over the air. (I live near Nashville,
Tn. I have a 90's model cabinet RCA tv that has a common problem. The
solder in the tunner is bad and causes my over the air signals to go
out when watching them. (I have an antenna tower. I also have basic
direct tv).

I can use the tuner in the vcr or satelite and hav eno problems with
reception.

My question is, can I get a cheap new or used HDTV converter that will
also pick up analog signals to bypass my tv's problem? Can I just get a
replacement ssatelite box for my direct tv that will have an over the
air HDTV converter and an analog over the air tuner built in?

I am sorry if I have not explained this clearly. If you have any
questions maybe I can explain it further.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You can use the hdtv converter until the tuner grounds in the tv set
cause eeprom corruption and the tv goes completely dead. You will
notice that the image may move up and down or become jumpy soon before
this happens.

This is a well documented fix on the web and generally easy to do with
the right soldering equipment and some pretty good soldering skills.