Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default keyways on a mill..?

So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had an
internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a shaft that
was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small cutter mounted at
the end...the machine spindle provide the power and thru some bit of magic,
the cutter at the other end turned, cutting the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little thing as
I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use it, asopposed to
single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a 1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Davenport's" wrote in message
So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had an
internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a shaft that
was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small cutter mounted
at the end...the machine spindle provide the power and thru some bit of
magic, the cutter at the other end turned, cutting the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little thing
as I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use it,
asopposed to single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a 1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike Oh, yeah...the question...does anyone know the name of this item? Or
better yet, does anyone have one laying around thta they want/need to get
rid of?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lookup keyway broach. Used with press not mill.
-
Bruce

E-mail :

Visit my web-page at :
http://bruce.johnstone.home.comcast.net/

Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed frequently-----and for
the same reason.

"The Davenport's" wrote in message
So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had an
internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a shaft that
was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small cutter mounted
at the end...the machine spindle provide the power and thru some bit of
magic, the cutter at the other end turned, cutting the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little thing
as I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use it,
asopposed to single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a 1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah, I know about that kind of broach...use them all the time...for the
part I'm looking at, a standard push or pull broach won't work, which is why
I was hoping to find info on the keyway cutter I'd described.

Oh...EDM is not an option...the part is nylon

"BJ" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.slatertools.com/rotarybroachingtools.htm

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.slatertools.com/rotarybroachingtools.htm

Karl

Re-reading my post, I wasn't cear...the rotating cutter at the end of the
"broach" cuts parallel with the centerline of the bore. Think woodruff
cutter, but longer keyway.

And my ASCII art is nowhere near goodenough to draw this one.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 21:17:23 -0500, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

Re-reading my post, I wasn't cear...the rotating cutter at the end of the
"broach" cuts parallel with the centerline of the bore. Think woodruff
cutter, but longer keyway.

I've never run across the device you're describing, but purpose-built
keyway cutting machines are usually referred to as keyseaters. Maybe
that will help as a search term if no one comes up with something more
specific.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

The Davenport's wrote:

So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had an
internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a shaft that
was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small cutter mounted at
the end...the machine spindle provide the power and thru some bit of magic,
the cutter at the other end turned, cutting the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little thing as
I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use it, asopposed to
single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a 1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Key Seating Miller. National Tool used to make them.

For all those of a doubtful disposition:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/keymilling.jpg

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2 Aug, 01:17, "The Davenport's" wrote:
So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had an
internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a shaft that
was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small cutter mounted at
the end...the machine spindle provide the power and thru some bit of magic,
the cutter at the other end turned, cutting the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little thing as
I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use it, asopposed to
single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a 1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Mike,they are called a slotting head.Most manufacturers made them as
an option for their universal mills.Bridgeport made a self powered one
that bolted on the back end of the ram.
Mark.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Davenport's wrote:

So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had an
internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a shaft
that was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small cutter
mounted at the end...the machine spindle provide the power and thru some
bit of magic, the cutter at the other end turned, cutting the internal
keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little thing
as I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use it,
asopposed to single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a 1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Key Seating Miller. National Tool used to make them.

For all those of a doubtful disposition:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/keymilling.jpg

Tom

YES!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I'll be on the phone today for
info!

Thank againl, Tom

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We actually do still have one where I work and we use it from time to time,
but they only have about 2" of stroke, and I'll be needing over 6.3" for the
part I'm looking at.

Thanks anyway, tho

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom wrote:
The Davenport's wrote:

So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had
an internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a
shaft that was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small
cutter mounted at the end...the machine spindle provide the power and
thru some bit of magic, the cutter at the other end turned, cutting
the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little
thing as I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use
it, asopposed to single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a
1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Key Seating Miller. National Tool used to make them.

For all those of a doubtful disposition:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/keymilling.jpg

Tom

Ever seen inside one?

The only thing I can visualise is a worm acting direct on the cutter.

Can't really see there being room for a worm wheel.

Hmmm.... Maybe a bevel gear beside the cutter. Chain drive?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:05:29 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Tom wrote:
The Davenport's wrote:

[...]

I haven't looked inside one, but I believe this is the
patent for it:

Patent number: 795420
Filing date: Feb 6, 1904
Issue date: Jul 1905

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT795420

From what I can figure out the shaft that powers it has pins
(3 pins) stuck into the end of it (inline) that engage with
the cutting wheel. A bit clunky but simple and obviously
effective.

Here is another patent that is powered from the side via a
line of gears to reach the cutter at the end.

Patent number: 1239159
Filing date: Apr 17, 1915
Issue date: Sep 1917

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1239159

There are a lot of patents concerning "key seating" tools
and machines. I just wanted to know how the one linked to in
the dropbox worked...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Key Seating Miller. National Tool used to make them.

Here's the site:
http://www.keyseaters.com/