Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Learned new trick with vinegar - peracetic acid

Everyone (:-)) knows the vinegar/table salt trick to make dilute
buffered HCl for derusting, but I read about a new recipe - two parts 5%
vinegar and 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide. This will make a very dilute
(about 1%) solution of peracetic acid, which will have a sharp odor so
don't stick your nose in it! Besides being used to kill algae in ponds
(diluted to about 10-50 ppm in the pond) it turns out it does a great
job of making brass look new again after machining or heating. Make
enough mix to submerge the brass, and wait overnight - voila! Also
strips copper sheet clean after I blackened it with a torch, but didn't
do a thing for oxidized 304SS. Don't know about rust on iron but I bet
the salt would be better for that since the peracetic acid will be
consumed pretty fast. It is a little slow since it is so dilute, but
works great. I'm not really sure if the slow step is the formation of
the peracetic acid or the cleaning of the metal. Maybe one day I'll do
some experiments where I mix one batch and let it sit for an hour before
adding metal while in a duplicate batch I dump everything together at
the start, and even try adding some salt, or maybe not :-). Can't
remember where on the Internet I saw this, so can't give the proper
attribution, sorry.

Don't drink it, or soak your hands in it, and especially DO NOT get it
in your eyes. It wants to glue your eyelids to the eyeballs and no one
wants that. That's the high points off an MSDS for some 15-20% stuff.
I really don't know how nasty this dilute stuff is so be adult about it.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 04:08:12 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

[...]

Interesting, duly noted, worth a try. I don't know jack squat about
chemistry, but I've found that Wal-Mart peroxide mixed with lumberyard
muriatic acid makes a very effective and fast etchant for copper-clad
ciruitboards at way far lower cost than ferric chloride from Radio
Shack. Warm FeCl works better for fine work as in traces under .010",
but the cheap mix works nicely for less fussy projects.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
Interesting, duly noted, worth a try. I don't know jack squat about
chemistry, but I've found that Wal-Mart peroxide mixed with lumberyard
muriatic acid makes a very effective and fast etchant for copper-clad
ciruitboards at way far lower cost than ferric chloride from Radio
Shack. Warm FeCl works better for fine work as in traces under .010",
but the cheap mix works nicely for less fussy projects.

--Got some weights/volumes to add to this hack?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A steaming pile of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obscure information...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

Interesting, duly noted, worth a try. I don't know jack squat about
chemistry, but I've found that Wal-Mart peroxide mixed with lumberyard
muriatic acid makes a very effective and fast etchant for copper-clad
ciruitboards at way far lower cost than ferric chloride from Radio
Shack. Warm FeCl works better for fine work as in traces under .010",
but the cheap mix works nicely for less fussy projects.

--Got some weights/volumes to add to this hack?

It's very easy to make ferric chloride - simply take hydrochloric acid
and keep feeding it steel until it won't dissolve any more iron. At this
point it's been "killed" and it will be nearly all ferric chloride.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01 Aug 2007 15:23:46 GMT, steamer wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
Interesting, duly noted, worth a try. I don't know jack squat about
chemistry, but I've found that Wal-Mart peroxide mixed with lumberyard
muriatic acid makes a very effective and fast etchant for copper-clad
ciruitboards at way far lower cost than ferric chloride from Radio
Shack. Warm FeCl works better for fine work as in traces under .010",
but the cheap mix works nicely for less fussy projects.

--Got some weights/volumes to add to this hack?

Two parts peroxide to one part muriatic by volume. It's not fussy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 31, 9:08 pm, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:
[...]

Carl:

Even better brightener for removing the red stains on brass is a 50-50
mix of drugstore peroxide and saturated sodium bisulfate solution (aka
"dry pool acid" mixed into warm water). Heated to about 185 F it will
strip the red stuff in 10-20 minutes. It has a short half-life, so is
best mixed when you need it. (the mixed solution, that is -- the
bisulfate pickle will last a long time, once you add the peroxide, the
mixed solution begins to degrade.)

The bisulfate pickle is relatively benign as acids go.

Regards,

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Don Foreman :
On 01 Aug 2007 15:23:46 GMT, steamer wrote:

[ ... ]

--Got some weights/volumes to add to this hack?

Two parts peroxide to one part muriatic by volume. It's not fussy.

*Which* peroxide? Hydrogen peroxide? That's the most common
one, but it could be some other.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Two parts peroxide to one part muriatic by volume. It's not fussy.

*Which* peroxide? Hydrogen peroxide? That's the most common
one, but it could be some other.

Yes, hydrogen peroxide. Here is a link to a great site on how to make
pc boards by toner transfer, and he recommends the hcl peroxide etch:
http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/gooteepc.htm

Another etchant is copper (II) chloride. It's biggest advantage is you
never have to throw it away. You can regenerate it by bubbling oxygen
or air through it, or if you are in a hurry you can add hydrogen
peroxide. Here is an excerpt from
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~esey...uCl/index.html
which is a very detailed website all about this method:

Quote:
Of the several types of etchant chemistries the hobbyist can
choose, acid cupric chloride (also called acid copper(II) chloride or
just cupric chloride) is one of the more interesting types, since it has
the ability to be regenerated, or replenished, without having to throw
away the solution. This is the reason why cupric chloride is one of two
main etchants widely used by PCB fabricators. The primary advantages of
cupric chloride in a hobbyist prospective is that a maintained solution
never becomes exhausted. The disadvantage is the extra work is required
for occasional bath maintenance. People who sparingly etch circuit
boards, will only want a temporary and low complexity etch method. For
simplicity, you cannot get any easier than pouring some ferric chloride
or ammonium persulfate in a plastic container, heat it a little in the
microwave oven, and immerse the PCB. More serious people may go to the
effort of setting up a vertical bubble etching tank. It is these people
who may find it beneficial to own an etch tank that does not deplete or
decline in etching speed.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net
(remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Carl Ijames :
Two parts peroxide to one part muriatic by volume. It's not fussy.

*Which* peroxide? Hydrogen peroxide? That's the most common
one, but it could be some other.

Yes, hydrogen peroxide. Here is a link to a great site on how to make
pc boards by toner transfer, and he recommends the hcl peroxide etch:
http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/gooteepc.htm

Thanks for this -- and all that I snipped below.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 19:37:45 -0700, Bob
wrote:

On Jul 31, 9:08 pm, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

Even better brightener for removing the red stains on brass is a 50-50
mix of drugstore peroxide and saturated sodium bisulfate solution (aka
"dry pool acid" mixed into warm water). Heated to about 185 F it will
strip the red stuff in 10-20 minutes. It has a short half-life, so is
best mixed when you need it. (the mixed solution, that is -- the
bisulfate pickle will last a long time, once you add the peroxide, the
mixed solution begins to degrade.)

The bisulfate pickle is relatively benign as acids go.

Regards,

Bob

Thank you! I have wondered for years what might brighten up brass
after silverbrazing boils off the surface zinc leaving it red.

I gotta try that!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 04:19:39 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

Another etchant is copper (II) chloride. It's biggest advantage is you
never have to throw it away. You can regenerate it by bubbling oxygen
or air through it, or if you are in a hurry you can add hydrogen
peroxide. Here is an excerpt from
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~esey...uCl/index.html
which is a very detailed website all about this method:

Interesting. I didn't know there was another web page about this. Here
is mine for comparison:
http://www.xertech.net/Tech/CuCl_ech.html

Not based on my own work, but from a book long out of print.