Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Learned new trick with vinegar - peracetic acid

steamer wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

Interesting, duly noted, worth a try. I don't know jack squat about
chemistry, but I've found that Wal-Mart peroxide mixed with lumberyard
muriatic acid makes a very effective and fast etchant for copper-clad
ciruitboards at way far lower cost than ferric chloride from Radio
Shack. Warm FeCl works better for fine work as in traces under .010",
but the cheap mix works nicely for less fussy projects.

--Got some weights/volumes to add to this hack?

It's very easy to make ferric chloride - simply take hydrochloric acid
and keep feeding it steel until it won't dissolve any more iron. At this
point it's been "killed" and it will be nearly all ferric chloride.

Grant