Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric jack hammerl opinion

A pawn shop near me has an electric jackhammer, a Wacker brand that is IIRC
a subsidiary of Caterpillar. The unit is about $1700 new. It has a cart,
and three bits. Looks lightly used. He wants $600 and won't move. I
offered him three, and if he has it tomorrow, I'll offer him four.

Anyone know what these usually sell for used?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
A pawn shop near me has an electric jackhammer, a Wacker brand that is IIRC
a subsidiary of Caterpillar. The unit is about $1700 new. It has a cart,
and three bits. Looks lightly used. He wants $600 and won't move. I
offered him three, and if he has it tomorrow, I'll offer him four.

Anyone know what these usually sell for used?

Steve

If it's like the Bosch, I've never seen one for $600. Lightly used, it
sounds like a good deal. Of course, I would do a Google search and see if
any info is out there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
A pawn shop near me has an electric jackhammer,

I have only tried the Bosh, and not the one you are looking at, but after
years of occasionally using air powered jackhammers, I found the Bosh entirely
too wimpy to bother with.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vaughn Simon wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
A pawn shop near me has an electric jackhammer,

I have only tried the Bosh, and not the one you are looking at, but after
years of occasionally using air powered jackhammers, I found the Bosh entirely
too wimpy to bother with.

Vaughn

Depends what you're doing with them. For tasks like breaking up a
bathroom tile floor / mud bed they are entirely satisfactory and an air
powered one with a diesel compressor parked outside would be rather
absurd.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wacker makes great tools, though I didn't know they made and have
not used their electric jackhammer.

I own the Bosch. I don't think you would ever touch one for $500
assuming it did still run. One of my guys dropped mine, cracked
the handle. Handle was $15, decided to put in an O ring kit
($55). Can't tell you it looks like a new one, but hits like a
new one.

Be very aware, these things don't hit like air driven hammers, but
are much cleaner and quieter. If you're breaking out the
driveway, get air. If you changing a bit of plumbing or cannot
have the dust, use the electric.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .