Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shrunken coins

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

Interesting stuff here...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:53:17 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

Interesting stuff here...

I met Bert in person, he is a fantastic individual. He lives not too
far from me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:58:48 -0500, Ignoramus3627 wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:53:17 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html
Interesting stuff here...

I met Bert in person, he is a fantastic individual. He lives not too
far from me.

I don't know if it was Bert, but I met a guy at the Tesla museum in
Colorado Springs back in 1993 or so who showed me a coin he had shrunk,
in his opinion, by warping time/space using Tesla's blah this blah that
tinfoil hat the other. I expressed my usual level of skepticism, adding
that I'd like to measure the displacement and mass before I believed
he'd done anything other than just annular compression. He lost
interest in talking to me at that point. Not sure what his goal was; it
was cool, but it's nothing to do with warping space-time there, sparky.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(Doug Miller) writes:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

Interesting stuff here...

Interesting, but I'm going to have to see a more believable
explanation than the one in the Pop Sci article to, well, believe it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Jul 2007 01:56:09 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:58:48 -0500, Ignoramus3627 wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:53:17 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html
Interesting stuff here...

I met Bert in person, he is a fantastic individual. He lives not too
far from me.

I don't know if it was Bert, but I met a guy at the Tesla museum in
Colorado Springs back in 1993 or so who showed me a coin he had shrunk,
in his opinion, by warping time/space using Tesla's blah this blah that
tinfoil hat the other. I expressed my usual level of skepticism, adding
that I'd like to measure the displacement and mass before I believed
he'd done anything other than just annular compression. He lost
interest in talking to me at that point. Not sure what his goal was; it
was cool, but it's nothing to do with warping space-time there, sparky.

Nothing to do with time space, indeed. Shrinking coins is akin to
forging, simply displaces material from one place and moves it to
another.

Bert showed me how coins are shrunk, it is fascinating. He sells
shrunken coins and I highly recommend his products.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3627 wrote:

[...]

In the photographs the coins did look "thicker" - or am I just imagining
that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:35:23 GMT, cavelamb himself wrote:
Ignoramus3627 wrote:

[...]

No, you are not imagining, they become thicker and smaller diameter,
no magic is happening. The density or volume does not change, only
dimensions and shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
(Doug Miller) writes:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

Interesting stuff here...

Interesting, but I'm going to have to see a more believable
explanation than the one in the Pop Sci article to, well, believe it.

Its simple electromagnetic induction. A truly enormous current
pulse is delivered to a couple turn primary wound around the
coin, and a massive current is induced within the coin. The
current produces a magnetic field, and there is energy involved
in buidling that field (which will also be huge, of course.)
So, there is a large compressive force trying to pull that
current into a smaller loop, and in the process, it drags the
edge of the coin inward with it. This is where the physics
starts to escape me, why the current loop can't shrink without
pulling the coin with it. But, this effect is the Z-pinch, and
is the key to one of the areas of inertial confinement fusion
experiments. See articles about the "Z Machine"
http://www.sandia.gov/media/z290.htm
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_machine

The Z machine is just a bit bigger than the coin shrinker, I
believe they were running 320,000 A at 90,000 V in some previous
work. Love that picture with the arcs over the pool of water.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3627 wrote:

[...]

Yep, they sure are thicker, but they seem more so nearer the centers,
sort of slightly convex on both sides.

I've got 25¢ and 50¢ US coins (one each) I bought from Bert via eBay
about the same time I bought a "Snail Ball" from a shop in England:

http://www.grand-illusions.com/toyshop/snail_ball/

Maybe "second childhood" is accompanied by a renewed interest in toys
like that?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
See articles about
the "Z Machine"
http://www.sandia.gov/media/z290.htm
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_machine

The Z machine is just a bit bigger than the coin shrinker, I believe
they were running 320,000 A at 90,000 V in some previous
work. Love that picture with the arcs over the pool of water.

Jon

The most recent advance resulted in an output X-ray power of about 290
trillion watts -- for billionths of a second, about 80 times the entire
world's output of electricity.

Gulp!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
See articles about
the "Z Machine"
http://www.sandia.gov/media/z290.htm
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_machine

The Z machine is just a bit bigger than the coin shrinker, I believe
they were running 320,000 A at 90,000 V in some previous
work. Love that picture with the arcs over the pool of water.

Jon

The most recent advance resulted in an output X-ray power of about 290
trillion watts -- for billionths of a second, about 80 times the entire
world's output of electricity.

A very long time ago (1969?), I got a tour of Sandia Labs. They showed
us the pulse X-ray machine they had at the time, along with a 1/16" thick
sheet of tantalum they had blown a dime sized hole in with a beam of
x-rays. It was all wrinkled & distorted around the hole with bits of
splatter. Very impressive. They had a lot of other neat toys. I expect
that almost 40 years of research has improved on them by quite a bit.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

[...]

Me too...

I watched a powerfull "flash X-ray" machine at a GE lab in Pennsylvania
about 20 years ago. It had a large horizontal Van de Graff generator
maybe 20 feet in length which chuffed away for several minutes charging
up some monster capacitors until they fired the thing off. It made quite
a BANG when it let go.

The place I was with was contracting with them to check the "radiation
hardness" of some GPS satellite electronics I had a hand in. (But not
while they were flashing it. G)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got some peripheral involvement in shrinking coins in 1991 [ I showed
up, and got them to shrink some coins for me].

The large loft in Down town Seattle used for amateur experiments was
rented by two guys.

There is a wizard named Dan who suggested to those two guys to go buy
some surplus capacitors that had become available.

These were special caps used for Reagan's star wars research on high
velocity electric guns.
The caps were high capacitance value, high Voltage, low effective series
resistance, and low output inductance.

They would wind solid, not stranded wire around a coin.
A safety shroud that looked like a helmet, but was ~1/4" welded steel,
was put over the coil and coil.

The caps were charged up for ~10 minutes with a Neon light transformer,
~10,000 Volts.

An pneumatic compressed air solenoid had been fashioned. It was
something like a wooden arrow that was pushed by air very quickly to
close the circuit.

When the air valve was thrown, we would be hiding behind furniture and
covering our ears.
It was as loud as being indoors with a high power rifle.
The solid #12 AWG wire would break up into pieces 1/4" long and fly
outward making holes in most insulators. Nomex paper was the only thing
I saw tough enough to stand up to the explosion.

Dan suggested an explanation for the forces:
He said we had 1,000,000 peak Amps.
He said that the coil was a toroidal bundle that was being forced by the
magnetic force to have a smaller minor diameter and a larger greater
diameter.
http://www.zamandayolculuk.com/cetinbal/AE/diagram5.PNG
The flux was then crowded into the coil major diameter and pushing
outwards. The flux set up eddy currents in the coin, that produced flux
that made more crowding. This is the force that made our Quarters shrink
in diameter and get twice as thick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:55:10 -0700, Clark Magnuson wrote:
[...]

Your description is 100% on target.