Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Shrunken coins

Ignoramus3627 wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:35:23 GMT, cavelamb himself wrote:

Ignoramus3627 wrote:

On 24 Jul 2007 01:56:09 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:58:48 -0500, Ignoramus3627 wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:53:17 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html
Interesting stuff here...

I met Bert in person, he is a fantastic individual. He lives not too
far from me.

I don't know if it was Bert, but I met a guy at the Tesla museum in
Colorado Springs back in 1993 or so who showed me a coin he had shrunk,
in his opinion, by warping time/space using Tesla's blah this blah that
tinfoil hat the other. I expressed my usual level of skepticism, adding
that I'd like to measure the displacement and mass before I believed
he'd done anything other than just annular compression. He lost
interest in talking to me at that point. Not sure what his goal was; it
was cool, but it's nothing to do with warping space-time there, sparky.

Nothing to do with time space, indeed. Shrinking coins is akin to
forging, simply displaces material from one place and moves it to
another.

Bert showed me how coins are shrunk, it is fascinating. He sells
shrunken coins and I highly recommend his products.

In the photographs the coins did look "thicker" - or am I just imagining
that?

No, you are not imagining, they become thicker and smaller diameter,
no magic is happening. The density or volume does not change, only
dimensions and shape.

Yep, they sure are thicker, but they seem more so nearer the centers,
sort of slightly convex on both sides.

I've got 25¢ and 50¢ US coins (one each) I bought from Bert via eBay
about the same time I bought a "Snail Ball" from a shop in England:

http://www.grand-illusions.com/toyshop/snail_ball/

Maybe "second childhood" is accompanied by a renewed interest in toys
like that?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia