Jeff Wisnia

Default Another undesirable effect of crossposting....

I responded to yesterday's post by Geoff titled "hard solder 650 degree
C what do I need to melt this?" (To Geoff from Jeff G)

A couple of hours later I looked at the thread and noticed that my reply
wasn't up yet. My posts to rcm usually show up in a matter of minutes.

I posted a copy of my original response with a "sorry if this is a dupe"
disclaimer.

Today I found out what happened.

The OP had crossposted to 'rec.crafts.jewelry', and that's why my post
didn't show up on rcm until half a day later.

rec.crafts.jewelry is a "moderated group" and today I got a nice note
from Peter Rowe, the moderator of that group, telling me:

Jeff,

Rec.crafts.jewelry is a moderated group. That means that all postings
get diverted by your (or any poster) ISP's news server, to their email
server, which instead of posting it to the newsgroup, emails it to a
moderated groups relay server, which then knows that I'm the moderator,
and emails it to me. The post then sits there till I download new
emailed messages for the group, remove the spam, commercial ads, and
other inappropriate posts, and resend the ones that belong, to my news
server with modified headers that then cause the news servers to accept
the post. If the post is sent to a list of multiple newsgroups, then
this is still the way it's handled if even one of the groups in the
crosspost list (the newsgroups: header) is a moderated group. Only when
the moderator of that moderated group has approved it, does the post
then go to the news servers.

And that, (sorry for the long winded description) is why you didn't see
your first post show up quickly. There is a time delay in all this,
that varies from a few minutes to as much as 24 hours, depending on when
you post a message vs. when I next process new messages for the group.
Normally I try to do it at least twice a day, but sometimes, it's only
once a day...

I bet I'm not the only one here who didn't know that would happen when
responding to a crossposted message...

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

John Ings

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:33:14 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I bet I'm not the only one here who didn't know that would happen when
responding to a crossposted message...

An intersting insight.

The news server behaviour I can't understand is why a post will show
up on one server and not another.

e.g.
When I was living in Ottawa I had on occasion posted something to my
local IP supplier's news server early in the morning. At noon hour the
same day I would access the free public server which I used at work
because the company news server did not have alt. newsgroups
available. This free public server is in Germany, but there would be
the message I posted that morning. But on several occasions the
message I posted to my local server didn't show up for as long as
three days!

Maybe that German server doesn't respect the moderated group rule?

jim rozen

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

************************************************* *********

Jeff,

Rec.crafts.jewelry is a moderated group. That means that all postings
get diverted by your (or any poster) ISP's news server, to their email
server, which instead of posting it to the newsgroup, emails it to a
moderated groups relay server, which then knows that I'm the moderator,
and emails it to me. The post then sits there till I download new
emailed messages for the group, remove the spam, commercial ads, and
other inappropriate posts, and resend the ones that belong, to my news
server with modified headers that then cause the news servers to accept
the post. ...

Hmm. Sounds like a nice plan. Any way we could turn rcm into
one of them there "moderated" ngs? Just think, we could moderated
away all the political crap....

Jim

please reply to:

wmbjk

On 20 Jul 2004 13:42:35 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

Hmm. Sounds like a nice plan. Any way we could turn rcm into
one of them there "moderated" ngs? Just think, we could moderated
away all the political crap....

Jim

Sure, just find a guy who posts all day every day, and get him to be
the moderator..... oops, never mind. :-)

Wayne
jim rozen

In article , wmbjk says...

Sure, just find a guy who posts all day every day, and get him to be
the moderator..... oops, never mind. :-)

That actually got a big smile from me, on an 'up to my ass
in aligators' kinda day. Thanks.

Jim

please reply to: