Wild Turkey

Default Cheap import milling machines

Any comments out there on the new Taiwanese and Chinese Bridgeport clones
out there with an R8 collet and 3-5HP motors?

Are they worth the money new or is it better, in your experience, to buy a
used mill.

I'm looking at the sale flyers from King Tool and KBC tool selling mills for
about $5K.

Mike

Wayne

I have a 1998 Millport that has a 2 HP 1725/3450 motor that works well for
me,speed range is 80 to 5440 RPM this is with a step belt. I also have a
hardened and ground table that seems to stand up well. My dad has a
Bridgeport that is hard to tell the difference when using the machine.
Anything that fits his fits mine, we share a horizontal head. As to the
quality the man I bought it from used it allot over the years and it still
is tight and accurate.

Jon Grimm

I love to bash asian crap, their quality is notoriously bad.
However, we bought a second hand Enco turret mill, and are very pleased with
it.

Using 30 and 40 year old bridgeport mills as a benchmark, I have to say that
it is a nice machine.

"Wayne" makowicki wrote in message
I have a 1998 Millport that has a 2 HP 1725/3450 motor that works well for
me,speed range is 80 to 5440 RPM this is with a step belt. I also have a
hardened and ground table that seems to stand up well. My dad has a
Bridgeport that is hard to tell the difference when using the machine.
Anything that fits his fits mine, we share a horizontal head. As to the
quality the man I bought it from used it allot over the years and it still
is tight and accurate.

Steve Koschmann

No good answer on this.. some people hate Asian (for whatever reason) and
others are just fine with them.

For the money you simply CANNOT beat the quality or features of Asian
stuff. -- unless you get really lucky at the auction. I have used both and
find the Asian stuff to be better and better as the years go by -- and the
American stuff at auctions getting more and more expensive. I just saw a
Bridgeport mill for for 5 grand.... nice mill, but two years ago, maybe
would have gotten 3 max.

Net, buy it and learn to use it ... ALL machines have their quirks -- even
the exceptionally SWEET Hardinge I have access to at the university.

Steve Koschmann