Allan Adler

Default making bigger lathes or milling machines

I've read many times that the lathe (or rather the milling machine) can
be used to duplicate itself and to make any other machine in the shop.
On the other hand, I've also read that some lathes are too small to do
anything with. That led me to wonder whether those two statements might
contradict each other.

Specifically, suppose you have a small lathe and milling machine in
a shop. Can you use them to make a bigger lathe and bigger milling
machine? And, if so, can you use the resulting lathe and milling machine
to make still bigger ones, and so on?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *
ATP

Allan Adler wrote:
I've read many times that the lathe (or rather the milling machine)
can be used to duplicate itself and to make any other machine in the
shop. On the other hand, I've also read that some lathes are too
small to do anything with. That led me to wonder whether those two
statements might contradict each other.

Specifically, suppose you have a small lathe and milling machine in
a shop. Can you use them to make a bigger lathe and bigger milling
machine? And, if so, can you use the resulting lathe and milling
machine to make still bigger ones, and so on?

You could use them to make most of the moving parts, but not the large cast
iron parts. I suppose it would be possible to assemble a modular machine out
of smaller parts but there would be disadvantages to such an approach that
would make it impractical or lessen the functionality of the final product.
The other question is, maybe you can make the parts, but how many operations
had to be performed on the raw material to even get it to the point where it
could fit in your machine?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

*
* * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT
Artificial * * Intelligence Lab. My actions and
comments do not reflect * * in any way on MIT.
Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston * *
metropolitan area. * *
*

PrecisionMachinisT

"ATP" wrote in message
news
Allan Adler wrote:
[...]

IIRC, Giddings & Lewis manufactures and ships their boring mill beds in 40
ft sections.

If you want longer travels, you bolt several beds together and carefully
level and align them.

Hope this helps.

--

SVL

Lurker

The concept is valid and almost certainly 'can' be done. Whehter it is very
practical is another question.

What comes to mind is seeing a forty(40) foot long wing spar for a c-130
machined on a vertical mill with a 36 inch x 8 inch table. Thing is, it
required
weeks of nibbling away to it, but....

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

[...]

Tim Wescott

"ATP" wrote in message
news
Allan Adler wrote:
[...]

-- snip --

This is what you would have to do to make _any_ machine bigger than the one
you have, and it's presumably how bigger machines are made today.

PrecisionMachinisT

http://active.boeing.com/assocproduc...es/2082245.jpg

--

SVL