Terry G

Default Tig Cooler Pump Question

I'm working on building a cooler for my tig, and have a good idea of what I
need from reading the many posts on the newsgroups.

I came across this pump from Northern and harbor freight

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...eg oryId=1546

and I was wondering if anyone has tried it or not. I have a WP20 torch with
25' cables. The pump says it can push 55PSI and it seems to have more than
enough flow. I would be using it for hobby use, and not very frequent very
long periods of time, so the quality should not be a huge problem for me.

Any comments? Thanks.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Terry G" wrote in message
I'm working on building a cooler for my tig, and have a good idea of what

need from reading the many posts on the newsgroups.

I came across this pump from Northern and harbor freight

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...eg oryId=1546

and I was wondering if anyone has tried it or not. I have a WP20 torch

with
25' cables. The pump says it can push 55PSI and it seems to have more

than
enough flow. I would be using it for hobby use, and not very frequent

very
long periods of time, so the quality should not be a huge problem for me.

Any comments? Thanks.

I'm as curious about it as you are. I could use it for circulating the
cooling water in my induction furnace if what they say is correct. I'm a
long ways away from that project, so if you buy one, I'd appreciate hearing
from you.

Thanks!

Harold

Martin H. Eastburn

Terry G wrote:

I'm working on building a cooler for my tig, and have a good idea of what I
need from reading the many posts on the newsgroups.

I came across this pump from Northern and harbor freight

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...eg oryId=1546

and I was wondering if anyone has tried it or not. I have a WP20 torch with
25' cables. The pump says it can push 55PSI and it seems to have more than
enough flow. I would be using it for hobby use, and not very frequent very
long periods of time, so the quality should not be a huge problem for me.

Any comments? Thanks.

That looks a bit large for most tig machines.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article l6Ejc.10561$Qy.258@fed1read04, Terry G
wrote:

I'm working on building a cooler for my tig, and have a good idea of what I
need from reading the many posts on the newsgroups.

I came across this pump from Northern and harbor freight

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...play?storeId=6
970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=7738&categ oryId=1546

and I was wondering if anyone has tried it or not. I have a WP20 torch with
25' cables. The pump says it can push 55PSI and it seems to have more than
enough flow. I would be using it for hobby use, and not very frequent very
long periods of time, so the quality should not be a huge problem for me.

Any comments? Thanks.

You can buy the real thing for about $80 from Depco pumps in Florida.

I am not sure that the northern tool pump can run continuously.

It is cheap at $30.
Karl Townsend

I asked just this same question a week ago. Look back a ways for a lot of
posts on this.

I bought a 24 volt double diaphram pump with power supply from surplus
center for $79. You get two - one spare. A friend, Don Foreman, is going to
set a up a variable speed dc drive for me.

Karl

Terry G

I ended up plumping the welder into my 1/2" copper water line I used a few
years back for my sink. It is running directly behind the welder, and with
a simple copper T, a sediment filter, and a valve with the proper fittings
(cost me exactly $20.00) I was able to supply the welder with constant 60
PSI of pressure. I run another hose with fitting into the drain. The water
solenoid inside the welder works great. Not to worried about wasting water
since I don't use the welder very often. And since it weighs 816 lbs, I
don't ever plan on moving it!

Terry

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I asked just this same question a week ago. Look back a ways for a lot of
posts on this.

I bought a 24 volt double diaphram pump with power supply from surplus
center for $79. You get two - one spare. A friend, Don Foreman, is going

set a up a variable speed dc drive for me.

Karl

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Terry G" wrote in message
I ended up plumping the welder into my 1/2" copper water line I used a few
years back for my sink. It is running directly behind the welder, and

with
a simple copper T, a sediment filter, and a valve with the proper fittings
(cost me exactly $20.00) I was able to supply the welder with constant 60
PSI of pressure. I run another hose with fitting into the drain. The

water
solenoid inside the welder works great. Not to worried about wasting

water
since I don't use the welder very often. And since it weighs 816 lbs, I
don't ever plan on moving it!

Terry

Good thinking, Terry. While different, that's about the same setup I use,
too. Works for me! No pumps to fail, and a steady supply of cool clean
water.

Harold

Karl Townsend

(cost me exactly $20.00) I was able to supply the welder with constant
60
PSI of pressure. I run another hose with fitting into the drain. The

water
solenoid inside the welder works great. Not to worried about wasting

You're one up on me. Mine failed a few weeks ago and the repair isn't done
yet. My shop freezes in the winter, or at least it can when I'm gone, so I
need antifreeze solution for coolant. I bought a diaphram pump from surplus
center.

My Lincoln IdealArc Stick/Tig doesn't have a solenoid for the water, just
the gas. This is why the first pump failed, it was left on for a week ( Nice
to have a kid around to help break things) I need to go inside the welder to
get the wire for the gas solenoid and use it to turn the coolant pump on.
Then the pump will only run when gas is called for.

Karl

Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 06 May 2004 12:38:55 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
Harold wrote:

(cost me exactly $20.00) I was able to supply the welder with constant
60 PSI of pressure. I run another hose with fitting into the drain.
The water solenoid inside the welder works great. Not too worried about
wasting

Run the hose out the window, and let the water dribble on that big
shade tree near the garage. Waste not, want not.

You're one up on me. Mine failed a few weeks ago and the repair isn't done
yet. My shop freezes in the winter, or at least it can when I'm gone, so I
need antifreeze solution for coolant. I bought a diaphram pump from surplus
center.

Make sure you have enough pressure to get the needed flow - the rest
of the discussions have centered around carbonator pumps, which are
gear type, to get the 60 PSI pressure needed to flow the water through
the small hoses in the torch lead.

My Lincoln IdealArc Stick/Tig doesn't have a solenoid for the water, just
the gas. This is why the first pump failed, it was left on for a week ( Nice
to have a kid around to help break things.)

You think that's bad? I now have a Dad around to break things, and
when he does it, he breaks things with /style/...

(AARGH! NO, put /down/ the WD-40 and pump pliers, and back away
slowly! Kerosene is NOT a lubricant! Don't you touch it, let me
finish this and I'll get the right tools and go fix it.)

I need to go inside the welder to
get the wire for the gas solenoid and use it to turn the coolant pump on.
Then the pump will only run when gas is called for.

I would rig it with a delay timer, so the coolant pump runs when the
gas solenoid operates, and then another 30 seconds or a minute more as
a cool-down cycle. Plus, this keeps you from short-cycling the pump
motor and killing the start windings/switch...

I don't profess to know the fine details about TIG (I do MIG) but
common sense says there has to be residual heat in the tip to get rid
of after stopping the bead, and boiling the coolant in the tip
channels can't be good for it. Do a lot of short strikes tacking
things together (with the water only running for a few seconds at a
time) and soon the tip will go all melty...

If nothing else, you'll get mineral deposits that will clog the
channels. (Just like oil coking in turbocharger center bearings.)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Richard Coke

From: "Karl Townsend"

Then the pump will only run when gas is called for.

If you are running a pump it should run when the welder is on not just when the
gas is flowing. Does your welder have an auxillary 110V outlet that is powered
by the welder on/off switch? If so, use it to power the pump.

Richard Coke

MetalHead

Karl Townsend wrote:

Snip
I bought a diaphram pump from surplus center.

I tried one of those diaphram pump's. It made enough presure and flowm
but you could feel the torch throbbing and it was really annoying! You
might be able to use some kind of air over water shock absorber to get
rid of it, but I just broke down and bought a carbonator pump.

Bob

Karl Townsend

I tried one of those diaphram pump's. It made enough presure and flowm
but you could feel the torch throbbing and it was really annoying! You
might be able to use some kind of air over water shock absorber to get

Thanks for the tip. I have a spare air hammer water line shock absorber,
I'll use it.

Karl