Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Hall

Default Spindle bering question

Hello,

I am a hobby metal worker located in Orlando FL. I recently bought an
old and very dirty Covel No. 6 tool and cutter grinder that I am restoring.

The spindle bearings need to be replaced. Original bearings are SKF 6206
YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings. In checking prices from the
local bearing suppliers, the prices range from $219 for SKF to $109 for
the ORS brand. I am not familiar with ORS bearings, the local vendor
said that they are in an older SKF plant in Turkey. Does anyone have
experience with ORS bearings? Are their other less expensive suppliers
for this type of bearing? The tool and cutter will be used only for my
own occasional use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Richard Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I am a hobby metal worker located in Orlando FL. I recently bought an old
and very dirty Covel No. 6 tool and cutter grinder that I am restoring.

The spindle bearings need to be replaced. Original bearings are SKF 6206
YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings. In checking prices from the
local bearing suppliers, the prices range from $219 for SKF to $109 for
the ORS brand. I am not familiar with ORS bearings, the local vendor said
that they are in an older SKF plant in Turkey. Does anyone have experience
with ORS bearings? Are their other less expensive suppliers for this type
of bearing? The tool and cutter will be used only for my own occasional
use.

Check out Barden bearings http://www.bardenbearings.com/ I use these for
all my high speed spindles, however, I do have some spindles that I only use
on occasion and I get away with using standard bearings. They won't last
long in production use, but it's cost effective to use cheap bearings
especially if they are easy to replace.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Richard Hall wrote:

Original bearings are SKF 6206 YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings.

Are you shure about the part number?
I do have an elder SKF catalog (1975) here and looked at it:
Y is a pressed brass cage.
C would be the play, but it is missing a number (1 ... 5) right behind
the C. The C is depending on how the bearing is mounted and you don't
need a higher C for precision spindles.
Also, I guess in a grinder spindle, it would need a P5 or P4 (P =
precision class. Lower numbers are better).
What the 782 is, is behind my knowledge. Maybe a date- or plant-code.

The P5 might double the price of a plain vanilla 6206 (and this one
isn't really expensive).

Telling the truth, I don't know exactly what ABEC is. Noise class?

Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
"Richard Hall" wrote in message

The spindle bearings need to be replaced. Original bearings are SKF 6206
YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings. Are their other less expensive suppliers for this type
of bearing? The tool and cutter will be used only for my own occasional
use.

Check out Barden bearings http://www.bardenbearings.com/ I use these for
all my high speed spindles, however, I do have some spindles that I only use
on occasion and I get away with using standard bearings. They won't last
long in production use, but it's cost effective to use cheap bearings
especially if they are easy to replace.

I agree with Tom. Bearings are made and then graded as to class.
Barden is one of the better manufacturers and their class three
bearings are likely to meet class five specs.
Or try Ebay. You might find some class 5 or 7 bearings being
auctioned. The 6206 is the industry number for the size. A class
three bearing in that size will be about $15.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nick_M=FCller?= says...

Telling the truth, I don't know exactly what ABEC is.

Annular Bearing Engineer's Committe

Basically it's an accuracy spec that says how much the
inner race will run out when the bearing is properly
mounted.

ABEC 5 bearings are a bit of an oddball, I do recall
most certainly that when I was re-doing a spindle a
few years ago, that ABEC 5 bearings cost a good deal
*more* than ABEC 7 ones. I think the idea was that
hardly anyone ever specs the fives anymore so they
don't make them.

Try investigating abec 7s instead, and try New Hampshire
Ball Bearing.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 28 May 2006 15:56:32 GMT, Richard Hall
wrote:

Hello,

I am a hobby metal worker located in Orlando FL. I recently bought an
old and very dirty Covel No. 6 tool and cutter grinder that I am restoring.

The spindle bearings need to be replaced. Original bearings are SKF 6206
YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings. In checking prices from the
local bearing suppliers, the prices range from $219 for SKF to $109 for
the ORS brand. I am not familiar with ORS bearings, the local vendor
said that they are in an older SKF plant in Turkey. Does anyone have
experience with ORS bearings? Are their other less expensive suppliers
for this type of bearing? The tool and cutter will be used only for my
own occasional use.

Call Alpine Bearing in Boston Mass. Ask for JC. Tell him John from
RapidTurn told you to call and you want best price for the bearings.

You may find a significant savings...G

Alpine has a website.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Hall

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link to Barden Bearings. Looks like they now only make
class 7 and 9 bearings from their web site information. They have a very
good set of technical literature in pdf with good photos showing how to
install spindle bearings. In reading, found out what the dot on the
bearing is for, now where is the corresponding highpoint balance dot on
the spindle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Hall

Nick Müller wrote:
Richard Hall wrote:

Original bearings are SKF 6206 YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings.

Are you shure about the part number?

This number is from the Service and Parts Manual. When I disassembled
the spindle it had New Departure 3206 X5 bearings.

I do have an elder SKF catalog (1975) here and looked at it:

This machine may be older than 1975.

Y is a pressed brass cage.
C would be the play, but it is missing a number (1 ... 5) right behind
the C. The C is depending on how the bearing is mounted and you don't
need a higher C for precision spindles.
Also, I guess in a grinder spindle, it would need a P5 or P4 (P =
precision class. Lower numbers are better).

Looking at bearing manufacturers reference pages, tapered roller
bearings increase in precision with a smaller number.
For example:
http://www.ahrinternational.com/tole...ange_table.htm

What the 782 is, is behind my knowledge. Maybe a date- or plant-code.

The P5 might double the price of a plain vanilla 6206 (and this one
isn't really expensive).

Telling the truth, I don't know exactly what ABEC is. Noise class?

Until last week, I did not know of any bearing standards, but I found at
least four in the last few days. Hard to stop research and do real work.

Nick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Hall

jim rozen wrote:
In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nick_M=FCller?= says...

Telling the truth, I don't know exactly what ABEC is.

Annular Bearing Engineer's Committe

Basically it's an accuracy spec that says how much the
inner race will run out when the bearing is properly
mounted.

ABEC 5 bearings are a bit of an oddball, I do recall
most certainly that when I was re-doing a spindle a
few years ago, that ABEC 5 bearings cost a good deal
*more* than ABEC 7 ones. I think the idea was that
hardly anyone ever specs the fives anymore so they
don't make them.

Miller Bearing supply house in Orlando FL checked with SKF and they did
not have any in stock. The next production run would be in mid July.

Try investigating abec 7s instead, and try New Hampshire
Ball Bearing.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Hall

wrote:

[...]

I will call them Tuesday. Thanks for the reference.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Richard Hall wrote:

Nick Müller wrote:

Richard Hall wrote:

[...]

782 soundes like a manufacturing code date. seventh month in 1982.
Electronic chip mfgrs. use this type of coding extensively.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
john wrote:

Richard Hall wrote:

Nick Müller wrote:

Richard Hall wrote:

[...]

The EIA (Electronic Industries Association) date code is week in
yearyear in century, so 0782 would be the seventh week of 1982, if
this is in fact an EIA date code. Many manufacturers use their own
code, and monthyear in century is a common code.

Joe Gwinn
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hall
Hello,

I am a hobby metal worker located in Orlando FL. I recently bought an
old and very dirty Covel No. 6 tool and cutter grinder that I am restoring.

The spindle bearings need to be replaced. Original bearings are SKF 6206
YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings. In checking prices from the
local bearing suppliers, the prices range from $219 for SKF to $109 for
the ORS brand. I am not familiar with ORS bearings, the local vendor
said that they are in an older SKF plant in Turkey. Does anyone have
experience with ORS bearings? Are their other less expensive suppliers
for this type of bearing? The tool and cutter will be used only for my
own occasional use.
I did a Covel spindle a few years ago and used ABEC-3, or common grade, ball bearings. It runs nice. You should be able to get 6206JEM bearings for $15-20.

Robert