Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Spindle bering question

"Richard Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I am a hobby metal worker located in Orlando FL. I recently bought an old
and very dirty Covel No. 6 tool and cutter grinder that I am restoring.

The spindle bearings need to be replaced. Original bearings are SKF 6206
YC 782 which are ABEC class five bearings. In checking prices from the
local bearing suppliers, the prices range from $219 for SKF to $109 for
the ORS brand. I am not familiar with ORS bearings, the local vendor said
that they are in an older SKF plant in Turkey. Does anyone have experience
with ORS bearings? Are their other less expensive suppliers for this type
of bearing? The tool and cutter will be used only for my own occasional
use.

Check out Barden bearings http://www.bardenbearings.com/ I use these for
all my high speed spindles, however, I do have some spindles that I only use
on occasion and I get away with using standard bearings. They won't last
long in production use, but it's cost effective to use cheap bearings
especially if they are easy to replace.