Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using the wrong size milling cutters

I have a horizontal mill with a 1" OD arbor. I've seen quite a few
cutters on ebay that have a 1-1/4" hole. These items usually sell for
very little.

Is there some sort of product I can buy that will allow me to use these
1-1/4" ID cutters on my 1" arbor?

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My mill has a B&S #9 taper. Arbors (or most any other kind of fixture)
are VERY hard to find. They few that I have found sell for megabucks -
typically 2-3 times the price of NEW items that use more popular
tapers.

I'm looking for other options.

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I made one for the same reason. I found 200 pounds of sharp cutters with
1-1/4 hole. I paid $35.00 for the lot so I made a step space that works
fine.
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a horizontal mill with a 1" OD arbor. I've seen quite a few
cutters on ebay that have a 1-1/4" hole. These items usually sell for
very little.

Is there some sort of product I can buy that will allow me to use these
1-1/4" ID cutters on my 1" arbor?

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Hall

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a horizontal mill with a 1" OD arbor. I've seen quite a few
cutters on ebay that have a 1-1/4" hole. These items usually sell for
very little.

Is there some sort of product I can buy that will allow me to use these
1-1/4" ID cutters on my 1" arbor?

Gary

If you have a lathe and are concerned about the loading on your 1 inch
arbor, why not make a new 1 1/4 inch arbor. more work and more stock than
spacer bushings, but still doable.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

In article .com,
wrote:

My mill has a B&S #9 taper. Arbors (or most any other kind of fixture)
are VERY hard to find. They few that I have found sell for megabucks -
typically 2-3 times the price of NEW items that use more popular
tapers.

I'm looking for other options.

If you've got a lathe, make another arbor. Not all that hard to do and
unless you're running production stuff with max speeds/feeds, you can
live without the keyway. I know this is heresy to some, but it
nevertheless is fact. I've been doing it for years. The collars very
effectively clamp the cutter in position. I'm assuming you're not
planning on running 3" or wider slabbing cutters; if you are, I'd use
the keyway.

But seriously, it does work and makes it pretty simple to make an arbor.

PDW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 25 May 2006 21:46:56 GMT, "John Hall"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a horizontal mill with a 1" OD arbor. I've seen quite a few
cutters on ebay that have a 1-1/4" hole. These items usually sell for
very little.

Is there some sort of product I can buy that will allow me to use these
1-1/4" ID cutters on my 1" arbor?

Gary

If you have a lathe and are concerned about the loading on your 1 inch
arbor, why not make a new 1 1/4 inch arbor. more work and more stock than
spacer bushings, but still doable.

John

If one finds a 1" endmill holder to fit the spindle..one mearly needs
to make an arbor that chucks into the 1" endmill holder. This makes
far more sense than dicking around trying to get the taper dead nuts.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Fri, 26 May 2006 02:43:58 +0100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

My mill has a B&S #9 taper. Arbors (or most any other kind of fixture)
are VERY hard to find. They few that I have found sell for megabucks -
typically 2-3 times the price of NEW items that use more popular
tapers.

I'm looking for other options.

If you've got a lathe, make another arbor. Not all that hard to do and
unless you're running production stuff with max speeds/feeds, you can
live without the keyway. I know this is heresy to some, but it
nevertheless is fact. I've been doing it for years. The collars very
effectively clamp the cutter in position. I'm assuming you're not
planning on running 3" or wider slabbing cutters; if you are, I'd use
the keyway.

But seriously, it does work and makes it pretty simple to make an arbor.

PDW

I would humbly suggest that if the OP has a horizontal mill, cutting a keyway,
if he wants it, shouldn't be a problem anyway :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM