Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

Default Using the wrong size milling cutters

In article .com,
wrote:

My mill has a B&S #9 taper. Arbors (or most any other kind of fixture)
are VERY hard to find. They few that I have found sell for megabucks -
typically 2-3 times the price of NEW items that use more popular
tapers.

I'm looking for other options.

If you've got a lathe, make another arbor. Not all that hard to do and
unless you're running production stuff with max speeds/feeds, you can
live without the keyway. I know this is heresy to some, but it
nevertheless is fact. I've been doing it for years. The collars very
effectively clamp the cutter in position. I'm assuming you're not
planning on running 3" or wider slabbing cutters; if you are, I'd use
the keyway.

But seriously, it does work and makes it pretty simple to make an arbor.

PDW