Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CXVI

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
James R. Freeman

673 Control panel for a fire "Pumper" Truck

"R.H." wrote in message
news
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dave Jones

On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:52:59 +0100, James R. Freeman
wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
news
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

673 Control panel for a fire "Pumper" Truck

676 Telegraphy 'tapper' (as seen in many westerns)

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Carl Byrns

On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:03:17 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

676- Some sort of scale for grading eggs?

-Carl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jody

James R. Freeman wrote:
673 Control panel for a fire "Pumper" Truck

Yes a pump panel and it looks like one with a CAFS system. I use one
every three days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
sewiv

R.H. wrote:
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com

672. early multi-tool of some sort?
673. pumper control panel, as many have said
674. paint stirrer
675. paper press
676. telegraph key
677. another nut-cracker?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bobo The Chimp

On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:03:17 +0000, R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

672: Hammer Bracelet
673: I don't know, but whatever it is, it isn't in operation - all the
meters are at 0. :-)
674: Martian Dildo
675: Watermelon Juicer
676: I can't even make up anything funny here. )-;
677: Keebler Elf Waffle Iron

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

675. Animal trap?

676. Egg grading scale. Small/medium/large. With the flipper
(above the fulcrum) as shown it separates large & medium,
moved to the left it separates medium & small.

677. Cigar making/trimming jig?

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
news
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com

672. early multi-tool of some sort?
673. pumper control panel, as many have said
674. paint stirrer
675. paper press
676. telegraph key
677. another nut-cracker?

672 Looks like another fencing tool.(The Atomic Hammer)???
673 Yep.
674 ???
675 Rube Goldberg mousetrap?
676 Definitely looks like a scale of some type to me. DAGS images for
"Telegraph Key" and none of them look like this.
677 Obviously for holding some type of rounds of different sizes. Dowels?
But why?

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jeff Wisnia

R.H. wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

673. High tech "Sybian" machine for men.

675. "Letter Press" used before invention of carbon paper. letters were
written in slow drying ink and presses against thin paper. Copies were
read through the back of the sheet.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Larry Green

On 25/05/06 5:53 PM, Phil Carmody wrote:

Jeff Wisnia writes:

R.H. wrote:

Another set has been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

673. High tech "Sybian" machine for men.

Being as I am in a text-mode emacs session, I rarely follow
these links to web pages full of images.

However, for a description like that, I'll make an exception!

LOL........well it does involve pumps and pumping and produces a lot of
'suck' in the large orifice in the lower centre of the shot!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:03:17 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hey Rob,

I think:

672 might be an upholster's tool??

673 is the engineers operating panel on a fire truck

674 Grooming tool??

675 Bowling ball cleaner??

676 is a fusible link fire extinguisher, sans some important pieces.
677. Nut cracker??

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Here we go again. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

672) Hmm ... it sort of looks from the first view like a small
door knocker, however the other view suggests that the hammer
head actually is intended to be functional, with a a strange
claw on the side instead of the back of the head, and the back
*might* work to pull staples.

No idea what function the circular "handle" serves.

673) That looks like the control panel of a fire engine -- in
particular a "pumper" truck.

674) Perhaps for bending several rods at the same time -- to a fixed
radius?

675) Hmm ... that one looks like a mouse stomping trap. Not sure
how much give there is under the trigger paddle, but when it
triggers, the big block of wood comes stomping down on whatever
is inside the box. Presumably, the trigger paddle gets some
bait on it when it is being set.

676) Hmm ... except for the lack of any visible contacts, it looks
like a predecessor for a "bug" Morse code key. I've got no clue
as to whether it is in its normal operating position, or whether
it should be mounted on a vertical surface.

677) Hmm ... perhaps a press for forming tamales? The grains in the
metal look like those in the corn husks normally used to wrap
tamales.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

"R.H." wrote in message
news
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

672. again, Rob, you've got some weird stuff in your collection. what in
the HECK is that thing?! cool. fun to be stumped. obviously some kind of
hammer but what the heck...?!? (wondering what the word "atomic" meant in
1896) (those slots below the hammer and above the ring, huh, they've got to
be used for something. i mean, they don't really look like they're for
pulling nails, i think a leather strap goes in them to hold the hammer onto
a wood pole, for what i don't know.)
673. it bugs me when people submit a response to something that's so easily
identified (but none of the other items). i wish everyone would (have to)
guess on every single item, even if their guesses are completely wrong.
it's fun to read other people's incorrect guesses.
674. have no idea.
675. i also thought it looked like some sort of mousetrap, when i was a kid
the older kids showed me how to make a "deadfall" trap, reminds me of that,
a delicate triggering mechanism.
676. have no idea why they'd need to weigh an egg (figured they'd grade
them according to size, not weight) but my first thought was it's a egg
weighing scale (the counterbalance weight even looks pretty much egg
shaped.)
677. huh. lol. no idea. DoN guessed some kind of tamale press, i'd go
with that. funny it has a brass (assume engraved) plate. some figure from
history (calvin coolidge's grand-aunt) used it to make tamales.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Four of the six have been answered correctly:

672. Cowboy fence mending tool

673. Fire truck control panel

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

675. Mouse trap

676. Egg scale

677. Similar devices were used by pharmacists, but the one in the photo
appears to have been made for home use either in the kitchen or cellar
(though not used for pharmacological purposes).

Several new photos have been posted to the answer page:

http://pzphotosans1181t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark Brader

Rob H.:
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

This is an answer? Or are you giving a hint and you're going to tell
us later what the thing is?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "After much soul-searching, the DMR decided to
| go with UNIX." -- "/aur" magazine, April-May '89
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

672. Cowboy fence mending tool

673. Fire truck control panel

Hate to get technical but that is not a fire truck. It is a Quint. A
true fire TRUCK doesn't have a pump. It may have a plumbed water line on
the ladder or up to the platform if it has one.
A Quint is kind of a jack of all trades type rig. It has a ladder
(usually under 75' and most are not plumbed). It has an on board water
tank and a pump that can supply enough water for the firefighters. They
also usually have rescue gear on board and can kind of function as a ane
stop type of rig. The problem is that they are not really set up to
handle each task as well as a dedicated type of unit can.

The panel in question is the main pump panel. If you want nore detail I
can even tell you what each control does on that panel. It's not our rig
but I have 4 different engines, tankers and once you get used to the
layouts of common items the rest is easy.

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

675. Mouse trap

676. Egg scale

677. Similar devices were used by pharmacists, but the one in the

photo
appears to have been made for home use either in the kitchen or cellar
(though not used for pharmacological purposes).

Several new photos have been posted to the answer page:

http://pzphotosans1181t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Rob H.:
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

This is an answer? Or are you giving a hint and you're going to tell
us later what the thing is?

Yes, that's a hint, I'll be more specific in the future when giving clues.
I'm still looking for the general name of this one, and will answer yes/no
questions about it. If no one gets it in a few days, I'll give the answer.

Same goes for the last one, this is also a hint:

677. Similar devices were used by pharmacists, but the one in the photo
appears to have been made for home use either in the kitchen or cellar
(though not used for pharmacological purposes at home).

http://pzphotosans1181t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

[...]

Thanks, never before heard of the term quint in reference to a fire truck, I
updated the answer page and added a link. Since you volunteered to give a
few details, I was wondering approx. how tall the ladder is in feet and in
building stories. Also I was going to ask about the sliding levers on the
panel, they appear to be for opening valves, but I noticed that the other
side doesn't have any of these.

http://pzphotosans1181t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Clif Holland

Oh sweet j&^%*^.

It's a red truck and used to put out fires. FIRETRUCK.

--

Clif

"Steve W." wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Lance Boyle

R.H. wrote:
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

Is it a cheese press?

Lance

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Lance Boyle" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

Is it a cheese press?

Lance

Nope, nothing to do with cheese.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jim

"R.H." wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :

[ ... ]

677. Similar devices were used by pharmacists, but the one in the

photo
appears to have been made for home use either in the kitchen or

cellar
(though not used for pharmacological purposes).

Hmm ... perhaps for squeezing sugar out of sugar cane? I note
that it is set up for three different sizes, with the largest closest

the pivot, which makes sense, as you get more leverage to compress the
larger sizes.

It's not for use on sugar cane, but you're right that it's for squeezing
something.

This device can be described in two words, and you already gotten the
second:

_ _ _ _ squeezer.

I had mentioned that this might be for home use, but just a very small
percentage of people
would have ever needed to use it, only those who were serious about a
particular interest or hobby.
A pharmacist could have used it for the same general purpose.

Hmm ... perhaps for squeezing peppers? Fresh Jalapenos or
Habaneros would make some serious fire-water. :-)

It's not for squeezing any type of food.

Rob

Cork squeezer.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

672. Cowboy fence mending tool

Intersting.

[ ... ]

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

?

[ ... ]

677. Similar devices were used by pharmacists, but the one in the photo
appears to have been made for home use either in the kitchen or cellar
(though not used for pharmacological purposes).

Hmm ... perhaps for squeezing sugar out of sugar cane? I note
that it is set up for three different sizes, with the largest closest to
the pivot, which makes sense, as you get more leverage to compress the
larger sizes.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :

R.H. wrote:
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

Is it a cheese press?

Lance

Nope, nothing to do with cheese.

A meat tenderizer?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

R.H. wrote:
Four of the six have been answered correctly:

674. This is usually found in the kitchen.

Is it a cheese press?

Lance

Nope, nothing to do with cheese.

A meat tenderizer?

Correct! The only other one like it that I've found is this one on ebay:

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Jim" wrote in message ...
"R.H." wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :

[ ... ]

677. Similar devices were used by pharmacists, but the one in the

photo
appears to have been made for home use either in the kitchen or

cellar
(though not used for pharmacological purposes).

snip

Cork squeezer.

That sounds like the right answer to me!

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Steve W.

Walk into a fire station in a city and call an engine (the fire term for
a pumper unit with a small water tank on it) a truck. You will get
escorted out.

Term wise there are.
Engines = Pumper units that can draft water or be fed from a hydrant or
another pumping system.
Tankers = Large tank units that haul as much water as possible and
usually have a pump that is plumbed to fill the tank alone. (you can
hook hand lines up to them but they are low pressure high volume units)
Trucks = These are used to haul ladders or have a hydraulic or
mechanical ladder turntable on them. They are also used to haul
salvage/overhaul gear to the scene.
Rescue = Used to haul the gear needed to extricate people from vehicles,
or other incidents.
Squad = Basically a people transporter to move people and their personal
gear closer to a scene.
Fly Car / Chiefs car = Normally a vehicle for the rapid response of the
command officer or a medic.
Quints and Quads are multi purpose units built to handle a lot of
functions.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

"Steve W." wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
[...]

Usenet
News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+
Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Steve W.

That is a central control panel. It is a better design than the older
units that had the valves for each suction and discharge near the
respective port.
Starting at the top left on that panel.
Warning beacon for the ladder (sound and light in case of a problem with
the ladder itself. Next is a 5 light water gauge (shows the level in the
on board tank) The two large gauges are the Vac/Pressure gauges for the
main Stortz style 5" suction ports. The next batch are mechanical engine
monitor gauges. RPM, oil, water and voltage plus warning lights.

The knob on the left is a vernier throttle control to adjust engine
speed while pumping. The red center is a rapid push to release button.
The row of gauges are for the preconnected lines and the discharge ports
on the top/rear and opposite side. They allow you to see how much water
your pushing toward the nozzle and allow you to calculate the required
line pressure to achieve the desired pressure at the nozzle. The more
line you have out the higher the pressure needed.
The controls under those are the valve controls for those ports. They
are pull/push and are connected through a maze of hard linkage to each
of the proper valves. If you look close you will see the color coding
for each valve as well. When these are set up right and you have the
colors matched to the lines it makes it real easy to control the lines.
Instead of having to remember who had what line off which port they can
just call back with " Need more pressure on BLUE" . The two on the far
left are the controls for the suction connections on the opposite side.

The handwheel on the left is the pressure/volume master control and it
allows you to alter the way the pump works, It controls a valve between
the different pump sections and allows you to switch the pump from
pressure to volume and to set a master dump valve so you don't blow a
line or seal if the hydrant pressure spikes. The two lever controls are
the valves for the discharge ports under them. The two gauges are to
monitor the pressure in those two ports. The red gauge above them is a
digital tach/pump engagement unit. Shows that the pump transmission is
engaged and the rpm of the engine.
The plate next to it is a cheater plate with line loss figures on it.
The plats to the right next to the ladder location and angle gauge is
the builders certification rating plate. It shows what the pump is rated
to push at given rpms.

The small chrome handle on the left runs the primer pump used when
drafting water (sucking it up though a line like a straw) It turns on a
vacuum pump that sucks the air out of the line and allows water to fill
it. The control on the primary suction is the control valve for this
side, the smaller port and vertical lever or for the 2 1/2" suction port
next to the main one. The small black controls are the outrigger
controls, they also lock out the ladder controls so that the ladder
cannot be moved without the outriggers down and locked.

The small group of knobs are individual drains for each line and the
ones at the bottom are the master and pump drains. You open those and
let them drain if the rig is parked outside in freezing temperatures and
not being used. The small black item to the right that looks like a
garden hose connection is a mechanical connection used for a handheld
tach, it is used during pump test/certification to verify the results
and to determine if the other gauges are working.

The opposite side panel has two suction ports with Stortz adapters on
them and two discharge ports. The small door in the panel is to access
the primer pumps oil supply tank. The large door over the panel is the
pump linkage access panel.

Height wise that appears to be either a 60 or 75 foot ladder. Those are
the normal sizes for a three section non tillered unit. It should get
you to the roof of a 3-4 story building without much trouble.

--
Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Steve W." wrote in message
That is a central control panel. It is a better design than the older
units that had the valves for each suction and discharge near the
respective port.
Starting at the top left on that panel...

Thanks, when I get the time I might put up some close-ups of the panel and
add some of your descriptions.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :

[ ... ]

This device can be described in two words, and you already gotten the
second:

_ _ _ _ squeezer.

I had mentioned that this might be for home use, but just a very small
percentage of people
would have ever needed to use it, only those who were serious about a
particular interest or hobby.
A pharmacist could have used it for the same general purpose.

Hmm ... perhaps for squeezing peppers? Fresh Jalapenos or
Habaneros would make some serious fire-water. :-)

It's not for squeezing any type of food.

Well ... there are those who would deny the possibility that
Habaneros and Jalapenos *are* any type of food. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564