Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Time Traveler

Default Harbor Freight order takers

Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 May 2006 00:13:37 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Time Traveler) quickly quoth:

Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

Oy vay! Them, TOO? sigh

--
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
--Chinese Proverb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Owens

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

Why not ? Its the "IN" thing for companies to do. But, are you sure they
were in India, and not a native of India living in the U.S. taking your
order.
gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Gary Owens wrote:
"Time Traveler" wrote in message
Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

Why not ? Its the "IN" thing for companies to do. But, are you sure they
were in India, and not a native of India living in the U.S. taking your
order.
gary

But, are you sure they were in India, and not a native of India living
in the U.S. taking your order.

Or a native of India in China taking your order. Keeping it all under
one roof?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Time Traveler

I was listening to the accent with that tinge of British lilt.It didn't
have the usual Indian accent of their English speakers.I then asked
where she was from,she then said she was in India.Maybe on the weekends
they switch to India and switch back on the weekdays.Compared to the
usual domestic order taker she was very precise and courteous.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Time Traveler wrote:
Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

Doesen't suprise me a bit.....

Things have progressed to the point where starting a couple of years ago
radiologists in India began reading U.S. patient's X-rays sent to them
over the web.

That gave small medical facilities without 24/7 radiologists the ability
to make quick decisions about the condition of ER patients.

From what I've heard from doctor friends, a US board certified
radiologist here would read those X-rays again when they came on duty to
minimize liability issues.

More recently I've heard that some of the radiologists in India have
received US board certification, so their opinions can be as legally
acceptable as if they were done by a US radiologist in situ.

Presently it's only a very small deal,involving a relative handful of
Indian radiologists, but I have a feeling the numbers will rise pretty
quickly as the bean counters who seem to be controlling our medical
services start savoring the sweet smell of cost reductions.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville

Time Traveler wrote:
Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

I just bought a Gibson guitar two days ago. When I got it home, I
found out that it was made in China. I'm not surprised. I already
knew that both Gibson and Fender had set up factories in China, and
were exporting from there in large numbers. I seem to have gotten
lucky with mine, because the quality controls were in place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

One of the guys I work with won't go to McDonalds where he lives. The person
taking the order is in India and sending it to the guy that fills the order
at the drive up window. He says the order was wrong 5 times out of 5 visits
there.
I have never been to that McD's so I don't know that for sure. I only kow
what he tells me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

MikeMandaville wrote:

I just bought a Gibson guitar two days ago. When I got it home, I
found out that it was made in China.

Gibson or Epiphone?

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:26:51 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:
snip
Presently it's only a very small deal,involving a relative handful of
Indian radiologists

snip
Remember the bible verse "a cloud no bigger than a man's hand,
and what that resulted in?

By the time you can see the spray and hear the roar of the falls
it is too late to paddle for shore.....

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville

Kevin Gallimore wrote:

I just bought a Gibson guitar two days ago. When I got it home, I
found out that it was made in China.

Gibson or Epiphone?

Well, Kevin, here it is, if you want to have a good laugh:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1188390 78857

I mentioned about the laugh because historically, anyway, Best Buy has
been known to offer guitars which are not worth the powder to blow them
up with, to borrow a phrase from a childhood friend of mine, and don't
ask me how I know! Of course, for the cheapest of the cheap, a weak
neck-to-body joint is always the problem. There simply needs to be a
"critical mass" of wood in that area. The lesson was worth the price
which I pais for it back in those days, though. I know better now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

MikeMandaville wrote:

Well, Kevin, here it is, if you want to have a good laugh:

I noticed they kept the "Gibson" name off the guitar.
What I see is a good looking LP copy with a rosewood fretboard and a
maple neck for 180 bucks. What can they do in Nashville that's worth
another 3 grand? What does it sound like?

Today's reviled import trash is tomorrow's collectable. I have a Teisco
beatle bass copy undergoing rehab in the basement. When I was a kid they
were beneath contempt. Now they sound pretty good. Must be the aging
of the wood.

Sounds a lot like the Chinese machine tool situation.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Time Traveler

Is Estaban still shilling his guitars on late night tv?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:44:59 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 21 May 2006 12:53:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"MikeMandaville" quickly quoth:

Time Traveler wrote:
Has HF moved its order taking to India?Called in an order 5/20 and the
woman taking my order was in India.

I just bought a Gibson guitar two days ago. When I got it home, I
found out that it was made in China. I'm not surprised. I already
knew that both Gibson and Fender had set up factories in China, and
were exporting from there in large numbers. I seem to have gotten
lucky with mine, because the quality controls were in place.

China? That's unusual. 95% of the guitars on the market have been
made in Korea for decades now according to a friend who's a musician.
(guitar) The violin I bought (nah, couldn't learn to play it with my
trick neck) came from China. I eBayed it cheap and sold it for double
the price locally.

My favorite banjo is a nearly indistinguishable copy of the Gibson
RD250. Its a Takamine..made in Japan IRRC. A Gibson RD250 player when
handed one blindfolded..couldnt tell the difference in sound or feel.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville

Kevin Gallimore wrote:

I noticed they kept the "Gibson" name off the guitar.

I noticed that too. The neck-mounting plate does have the
Gibson-Baldwin Music Education logo on it, though, to identify it as a
student model. I like the maple body, and I'm happy with the way it
sounds. What I have in mind is to build a table for it, clamp it down
to the table, and then play it as a slide steel model.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jedd Haas

In article ,
axolotl wrote:

MikeMandaville wrote:

Well, Kevin, here it is, if you want to have a good laugh:

I noticed they kept the "Gibson" name off the guitar.
What I see is a good looking LP copy with a rosewood fretboard and a
maple neck for 180 bucks. What can they do in Nashville that's worth
another 3 grand? What does it sound like?

Today's reviled import trash is tomorrow's collectable. I have a Teisco
beatle bass copy undergoing rehab in the basement. When I was a kid they
were beneath contempt. Now they sound pretty good. Must be the aging
of the wood.

Take a closer look at that $180 special. Open up the back cover, it's
likely made of plywood.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville

Jedd Haas wrote:

Take a closer look at that $180 special. Open up the back cover, it's likely made of plywood.

Jedd, you're one step ahead of me! :-) Sure enough, the laminations
appear to be approximately one-eighth of an inch thick, and, although I
didn't notice any voids, this guitar clearly qualifies to be described
as being of composite construction, rather than maple. Actually, I
expected this to be the case, although, since Gibson itself uses the
term "maple" to describe this guitar, I took the liberty of doing so
also, before learning the "awful truth"! :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 22 May 2006 10:59:12 -0700, "MikeMandaville"
wrote:

Jedd Haas wrote:

Take a closer look at that $180 special. Open up the back cover, it's likely made of plywood.

Jedd, you're one step ahead of me! :-) Sure enough, the laminations
appear to be approximately one-eighth of an inch thick, and, although I
didn't notice any voids, this guitar clearly qualifies to be described
as being of composite construction, rather than maple. Actually, I
expected this to be the case, although, since Gibson itself uses the
term "maple" to describe this guitar, I took the liberty of doing so
also, before learning the "awful truth"! :-)

Some of the finest rifle stocks..and my cherished and rare Dufrin full
laminate pool cues are laminated.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Execution is everything.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

The guitar companies have two different lines usually, the Made in Usa brand
and the import brand. You have Gibson & Epiphone, and Fender Usa and Fender.

There's a reason why a Gibson LesPaul costs $1500 and student version
"Gibson Baldwin" costs $179.00

Ya pays ya price and dats what ya git.

"axolotl" wrote in message
MikeMandaville wrote:

I just bought a Gibson guitar two days ago. When I got it home, I
found out that it was made in China.

Gibson or Epiphone?

Kevin Gallimore

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 22 May 2006 23:58:03 -0400, "Tony"
wrote:

The guitar companies have two different lines usually, the Made in Usa brand
and the import brand. You have Gibson & Epiphone, and Fender Usa and Fender.

There's a reason why a Gibson LesPaul costs $1500 and student version
"Gibson Baldwin" costs $179.00

Ya pays ya price and dats what ya git.

If I recall how their code-word system goes, don't the USA-made ones
come from the "Gibson Custom Shop"?

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville

Gunner wrote:

My favorite banjo is a nearly indistinguishable copy of the Gibson RD250. Its a Takamine..made in Japan IRRC. A Gibson RD250 player when handed one blindfolded..couldnt tell the difference in sound or feel.

Say Gunner, I have an idea. Why don't you go on tour with Pete Seeger!
Remember when G Gordon Liddy did the lecture circuit with Timothy
Leary? Now that was a show! I'm thinking of something similar here,
if you see what I mean.