Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Anyone hear of helloworld?

My daughter and SIL came home today just enthusiastic from a Hello World
seminar. Supposed to be the greatest thing since KY jelly. New ways of
webcamming, e mail, teleconferencing, yada yada yada.

I, being an old fart, am suspicious, because I believe if it was all that
good, it would be snatched up in IPOs on the first day by inside traders,
Know Whut Uh Mean, Martha? They are being called upon to invest some money.

Still, I am trying to keep an open mind. Anyone else heard of this?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Steve B wrote:
My daughter and SIL came home today just enthusiastic from a Hello World
seminar. Supposed to be the greatest thing since KY jelly. New ways of
webcamming, e mail, teleconferencing, yada yada yada.

I, being an old fart, am suspicious, because I believe if it was all that
good, it would be snatched up in IPOs on the first day by inside traders,
Know Whut Uh Mean, Martha? They are being called upon to invest some money.

Still, I am trying to keep an open mind. Anyone else heard of this?

Steve

Can't say I've ever heard of it, Steve. But on general principle I
think your gut instinct is right on. If "helloworld" is going to be so
big, they would have taken the cash spent running seminars and used it
to get the thing started instead. It's like the ads I occasionally hear
on radio stations offering info on the "next hot cool thing - invest now
on the ground floor...". Always seemed to me that if it was such a hot
investment, they would not need to buy airtime on big AM radio stations
to get the word out. Just my opinion. I'm not rich, so you can see where
my "investment" sense has gotten me.

So don't take my word for anything. My advice here is, as is said,
worth exactly what you paid for it...

Al A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stan Weiss

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Steve B wrote:
My daughter and SIL came home today just enthusiastic from a Hello World
seminar. Supposed to be the greatest thing since KY jelly. New ways of
webcamming, e mail, teleconferencing, yada yada yada.

I, being an old fart, am suspicious, because I believe if it was all that
good, it would be snatched up in IPOs on the first day by inside traders,
Know Whut Uh Mean, Martha? They are being called upon to invest some money.

Still, I am trying to keep an open mind. Anyone else heard of this?

Anyone else here who inevitably thinks of the following?

#include iostream.h

main()
{
cout "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

Chris

Only when I am writing in "c". In basic or masm it would look a little
different. g
Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Steve B wrote:
My daughter and SIL came home today just enthusiastic from a Hello
World seminar. Supposed to be the greatest thing since KY jelly. New ways
of webcamming, e mail, teleconferencing, yada yada yada.

I, being an old fart, am suspicious, because I believe if it was all
that good, it would be snatched up in IPOs on the first day by inside
traders, Know Whut Uh Mean, Martha? They are being called upon to
invest some money.
Still, I am trying to keep an open mind. Anyone else heard of this?

Steve

First hit (google)
http://www.helloworld.com/US/defaultwww.aspx?ID=www

Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Stan Weiss wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

C++ was the only language I was taught. BASIC I learnt myself after I
got a chuck-out Commodore 32. You only learn "Hello World" through
teaching. Let's just say it isn't the first thing that springs to mind
when you discover you can print messages on the screen :-).

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Christopher Tidy wrote:

main()

There is missing an "int" in front of "main()".

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Mark Rand wrote:

There is missing an "int" in front of "main()".

Since there's no explicit return, it could be a void :-)

No, it _is_ "int main". int can't be left out. "void main" is invalid.
Also, as he did make a "return 0", the compiler should complain twice.
And going on nitpicking: The "return 0" can be left out. main is the
only function where this is true.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

CSEG SEGMENT 'CODE'
ASSUME CS:CSEG, DS:CSEG, ES:CSEG
ORG 100H

SERVO PROC FAR
JMP START
LEA DX, M-HI
MOV AH, 9
INT 21H

MOV AL, 0 ; RETURN CODE
INT 21H

M_HI db 'Hey world'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stan Weiss

You have a - and _ so you should get an undefined tag name.
Stan

Richard Lamb wrote:

CSEG SEGMENT 'CODE'
ASSUME CS:CSEG, DS:CSEG, ES:CSEG
ORG 100H

SERVO PROC FAR
JMP START
LEA DX, M-HI Tag Name
MOV AH, 9
INT 21H

MOV AL, 0 ; RETURN CODE
INT 21H

M_HI db 'Hey world' Tag Name

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Steve B wrote:
My daughter and SIL came home today just enthusiastic from a Hello World
seminar. Supposed to be the greatest thing since KY jelly. New ways of
webcamming, e mail, teleconferencing, yada yada yada.

I, being an old fart, am suspicious, because I believe if it was all that
good, it would be snatched up in IPOs on the first day by inside traders,
Know Whut Uh Mean, Martha? They are being called upon to invest some money.

Still, I am trying to keep an open mind. Anyone else heard of this?

Anyone else here who inevitably thinks of the following?

#include iostream.h

main()
{
cout "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

Chris

PROGRAM MAIN
WRITE (6,100) 'hello, world'
100 FORMAT (' ',A)
END

(defun main ()
(format t "hello, world"))

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
reader

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

That brings flashbacks of C++ and Java UGH!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Yep.
That's what I get for typing it in - with out the assembler
handy...

Richard Lamb wrote:

CSEG SEGMENT 'CODE'
ASSUME CS:CSEG, DS:CSEG, ES:CSEG
ORG 100H

SERVO PROC FAR
JMP START
LEA DX, M-HI Tag Name
MOV AH, 9
INT 21H

MOV AL, 0 ; RETURN CODE
INT 21H

M_HI db 'Hey world' Tag Name

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 10 May 2006 19:38:50 GMT, the renowned Richard Lamb
wrote:

Talk about flashbacks!

If you like "Hello World" programs, here's excess of it, surfeiting:

http://www2.latech.edu/~acm/HelloWorld.shtml

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany