Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Dust Collectors

Awl--

Ahm puttin together a HF order, and saw a price reduction in the 2 HP dust
collector (to $179), w/ a 70 gal bag.

I have a concrete room adjacent to the 2 car garage, with two 6-8" vents in
the ceiling that go to the outside. In this room could be put all my
welding and grinding stuff, and if I then put this dust collector outside, I
might have a pretty decent fume exhaust/dust collection inside, as one of
the vents is right in a corner, ideal for a hood, etc.
Q's:
Will my neighbors hate me? iow, how noisy is this thing likely to be? I
spose I could build an enclosure for it. I wouldn't want to interfere w/ the
outside gangsta rap ""music"", so widely appreciated here in Yonkers....
Is it likely any good? Would I be better off with something else?

I have seen very expensive dust collection systems, but I just need
rudimentary stuff for now, so's I don't choke to death.

I have a Grainger 3 ph 5 hp industrial blower that I could kluge up, but
that goddamm thing is more of a hurricane generator.

Iny idears, opinions?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
[...]

For welding fumes:
Of the systems I've heard about, I like the forced air personal hood for
simple functionality. I've never used one, but I don't weld a lot. Small
blower feeding a suitable welding helmet with a skirt of sorts that fits
around your head/neck. I believe some speedglass hoods are built for
working with just such a system.

Doesn't do anything for air quality elsewhere in the shop, nor fume and
airborne particulate management other than excluding your lungs from it
though.

StaticsJason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Well if you plan to keep the vacuum outside you'll want to build
some sort of weather protection shed for it, yes? Line it with non-rigid
insulation and that should cut down on the noise. Another cheapy solution
that *really* contains noise: staple egg cartons to the inside of the
enclosure.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I'll have the roast duck
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : with the mango salsa...