Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles V. Craig

Default Custom taps and dies

Hi everybody,

Does anyone in this NG make custom taps and dies? My cousin ( a
millwright) is looking for some odd-ball taps and dies for work. He
isn't computer literate, which is why I got tasked with searching
online

Cheers,

CVC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Oddball..., as in shape? Thread? Material?
JR
Dweller in te cellar

Charles V. Craig wrote:

Hi everybody,

Does anyone in this NG make custom taps and dies? My cousin ( a
millwright) is looking for some odd-ball taps and dies for work. He
isn't computer literate, which is why I got tasked with searching
online

Cheers,

CVC

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary A. Gorgen

Charles V. Craig wrote:

Hi everybody,

Does anyone in this NG make custom taps and dies? My cousin ( a
millwright) is looking for some odd-ball taps and dies for work. He
isn't computer literate, which is why I got tasked with searching
online

Cheers,

CVC

I made a "W-48" form tap yesterday.
Does that qualify as obb-ball?

There are many places that make custom taps.
I haven't looked, but will in the future.
I don't believe they are too expensive.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Hmmmnnn . . . you'd think a millwright, or a millwright's relative would
have a better description than "oddball". Justgoestoshowya, he thinks we
are not only magicians, but mind readers as well.

Bob Swinney

PS: FWIW taps can be made by anyone with a screw cutting lathe and some
drill rod. Dies are a little more complicated, but doable. It's a "chicken
and egg" thing. First you make the tap and then use the tap to make the
die, etc.

news

Charles V. Craig wrote:

Hi everybody,

Does anyone in this NG make custom taps and dies? My cousin ( a
millwright) is looking for some odd-ball taps and dies for work. He
isn't computer literate, which is why I got tasked with searching
online

Cheers,

CVC

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:33:51 -0500, Charles V. Craig wrote:

Hi everybody,

Does anyone in this NG make custom taps and dies? My cousin ( a
millwright) is looking for some odd-ball taps and dies for work. He
isn't computer literate, which is why I got tasked with searching
online

Cheers,

CVC

To be honest, I would expect a millwright to know how to make one-off taps
and dies as a matter of course.

For taps:-
Take tool steel of choice. Starting with square section makes life easier.
Turn desired thread on it. Turn a pilot and/or taper. Cut flutes using a mill
or shaper (I used a shaper) then harden steel or harden steel then cut flutes
with a surface grinder.

For crude dies:-
Take tool steel of choice. Drill holes to make flutes. Bore hole for core
diameter. Boring a pilot can help with alignment. Tap or single point thread.
Turn taper with cross-slide. Harden.

It works.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles V. Craig

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:26:50 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Hmmmnnn . . . you'd think a millwright, or a millwright's relative would
have a better description than "oddball". Justgoestoshowya, he thinks we
are not only magicians, but mind readers as well.

Bob Swinney

PS: FWIW taps can be made by anyone with a screw cutting lathe and some
drill rod. Dies are a little more complicated, but doable. It's a "chicken
and egg" thing. First you make the tap and then use the tap to make the
die, etc.

He's the mechanic, I'm the nerd (shrug), what can I say...? :=)

He's looking for a metric tap\die pair, which is "M32x1.25".
I'm guessing that means 32mm x 1.25 mm?

He said he took lathe and mill in his course, but he "sucked" at it,
so that's probably why he hopes to find someone who can make it for
him.

Any idea as to cost?

Thanks,

CVC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Charles V. Craig wrote:

He's looking for a metric tap\die pair, which is "M32x1.25".
I'm guessing that means 32mm x 1.25 mm?

Any idea as to cost?

The M32 * 1.5 (they don't list 1.25) costs (sit down) 147.- EUR. That
are about $180. Oh, there's a cheaper one for 85.- EUR.
The die costs 75.- EUR.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mickey Feldman

In this part of the world anyway, the term Millwright can mean either:

1) Someone who is not only a fully qualified and trained machinist in
the sense of lathe/mill etc operator, but also trained to set up,
align, and probably recondition and repair machine tools, or

2) Someone who may never have had formal training or any/much
experience as a machine tool operator or any of the theory needed to
be a machinist, but who installs, sets up, and adjusts drive trains,
belts motors pullys, etc for saw mills and other such industiral
equipment.

Same term, but hardly the same skill set.

Mickey

To be honest, I would expect a millwright to know how to make one-off taps
and dies as a matter of course.

Small taps and dies Arcady Schekochikhin Metalworking 4 January 12th 06 08:45 AM
General Tap question.... [email protected] Metalworking 11 October 6th 05 11:58 PM
tap/die question SteveB Metalworking 32 June 19th 05 09:51 PM
taps: dies and rethreading dies Nick Hull Metalworking 3 February 22nd 05 10:51 PM