Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles V. Craig

Default Custom taps and dies

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:26:50 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Hmmmnnn . . . you'd think a millwright, or a millwright's relative would
have a better description than "oddball". Justgoestoshowya, he thinks we
are not only magicians, but mind readers as well.

Bob Swinney

PS: FWIW taps can be made by anyone with a screw cutting lathe and some
drill rod. Dies are a little more complicated, but doable. It's a "chicken
and egg" thing. First you make the tap and then use the tap to make the
die, etc.

He's the mechanic, I'm the nerd (shrug), what can I say...? :=)

He's looking for a metric tap\die pair, which is "M32x1.25".
I'm guessing that means 32mm x 1.25 mm?

He said he took lathe and mill in his course, but he "sucked" at it,
so that's probably why he hopes to find someone who can make it for
him.

Any idea as to cost?

Thanks,

CVC