Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

Default Custom taps and dies

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:33:51 -0500, Charles V. Craig wrote:

Hi everybody,

Does anyone in this NG make custom taps and dies? My cousin ( a
millwright) is looking for some odd-ball taps and dies for work. He
isn't computer literate, which is why I got tasked with searching
online

Cheers,

CVC

To be honest, I would expect a millwright to know how to make one-off taps
and dies as a matter of course.

For taps:-
Take tool steel of choice. Starting with square section makes life easier.
Turn desired thread on it. Turn a pilot and/or taper. Cut flutes using a mill
or shaper (I used a shaper) then harden steel or harden steel then cut flutes
with a surface grinder.

For crude dies:-
Take tool steel of choice. Drill holes to make flutes. Bore hole for core
diameter. Boring a pilot can help with alignment. Tap or single point thread.
Turn taper with cross-slide. Harden.

It works.

Mark Rand
RTFM