Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dave

Default running a 3phase MIG welder on a rotary converter setup - doable?impractical? impossible?

moving OUT of my shop and back into my garage at home. shop has three
phase. I want to buy a used MIG, but lots of the ones I see are three
phase. anybody here ever run their MIG (or any other three-phase welder,
for that matter) on a "rotary converter setup"?

would running a welder on a rotary converter setup be 'ill-advised'? I
already have a rotary converter rated "max single motor three hp, max
total hp 12 hp", but it's not clear to me how that relates to using it
with a welder...or if it's even 'doable'?

thanks in advance for educating me on this, guys :-)

toolie

==
ps-replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my
address before you click 'send' - thanks
==
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Welders run fine on rotary converters. You have no motor startup
current to contend with as you would with a motor, and unless its one of
the latest ones that's all electornic it will use just about any power
you feed it, in fact you could just hook up a bank of caps to generate
the third phase on the old ones and not even bother with a rotary
generator.

John

dave wrote:
moving OUT of my shop and back into my garage at home. shop has three
phase. I want to buy a used MIG, but lots of the ones I see are three
phase. anybody here ever run their MIG (or any other three-phase welder,
for that matter) on a "rotary converter setup"?

would running a welder on a rotary converter setup be 'ill-advised'? I
already have a rotary converter rated "max single motor three hp, max
total hp 12 hp", but it's not clear to me how that relates to using it
with a welder...or if it's even 'doable'?

thanks in advance for educating me on this, guys :-)

toolie

==
ps-replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my
address before you click 'send' - thanks
==

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:30:09 -0400, dave
wrote:

moving OUT of my shop and back into my garage at home. shop has three
phase. I want to buy a used MIG, but lots of the ones I see are three
phase. anybody here ever run their MIG (or any other three-phase welder,
for that matter) on a "rotary converter setup"?

would running a welder on a rotary converter setup be 'ill-advised'? I
already have a rotary converter rated "max single motor three hp, max
total hp 12 hp", but it's not clear to me how that relates to using it
with a welder...or if it's even 'doable'?

thanks in advance for educating me on this, guys :-)

toolie

==
ps-replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my
address before you click 'send' - thanks
==

Im running an Airco PhaseArc 350, on a 10hp RPC, pony motor started.
However..Im not buring anything bigger than .035 wire and the distance
from the RPC and the welder is less than 20 feet. However..I can do a
very nice spray transfer.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:45:53 -0400, "wayne mak"
wrote:

I have been told (ot done so) that it will work on single phase just derate
the output.

My AirCo transformer MIG will not run on single phase, though Ive not
had the guts to put L2 and L3 together as someone suggested.

Gunner

dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

wayne mak wrote:

I have been told (ot done so) that it will work on single phase just derate
the output.

Some will but you have to watch out for anything with three phase fans
in it. Also the contactors and control ckts have to be hooked to the
active phase for them to operate.

John

VFD used with either a 3~ Rotary Converter or Phase Inverter Mark Main Metalworking 13 January 24th 06 08:36 PM
Phas a matic Rotary Converter Rip Off? Steve Koschamnn Metalworking 12 December 10th 03 10:42 PM
Motor Phases SRF Metalworking 20 October 23rd 03 09:32 AM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM