Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Default running a 3phase MIG welder on a rotary converter setup - doable?impractical? impossible?

Welders run fine on rotary converters. You have no motor startup
current to contend with as you would with a motor, and unless its one of
the latest ones that's all electornic it will use just about any power
you feed it, in fact you could just hook up a bank of caps to generate
the third phase on the old ones and not even bother with a rotary
generator.

John

dave wrote:
moving OUT of my shop and back into my garage at home. shop has three
phase. I want to buy a used MIG, but lots of the ones I see are three
phase. anybody here ever run their MIG (or any other three-phase welder,
for that matter) on a "rotary converter setup"?

would running a welder on a rotary converter setup be 'ill-advised'? I
already have a rotary converter rated "max single motor three hp, max
total hp 12 hp", but it's not clear to me how that relates to using it
with a welder...or if it's even 'doable'?

thanks in advance for educating me on this, guys :-)

toolie

==
ps-replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my
address before you click 'send' - thanks
==