Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunner... Gorton pantograph?

Hey Gunner... a few months ago, you mentioned a Gorton book at this site:

ftp://64.143.22.219/GortonPant_ALL.zip

It is not there now. I just acquired a P2-3 and would like to find a
manual. Do you have any sources?

Regards,

Mark

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

M wrote:
Hey Gunner... a few months ago, you mentioned a Gorton book at this
site:

ftp://64.143.22.219/GortonPant_ALL.zip

It is not there now. I just acquired a P2-3 and would like to find a
manual. Do you have any sources?

Regards,

Mark

Try it now Mark.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:37:37 -0700, "M" mark@maxmachinedotcom wrote:

Hey Gunner... a few months ago, you mentioned a Gorton book at this site:

ftp://64.143.22.219/GortonPant_ALL.zip

It is not there now. I just acquired a P2-3 and would like to find a
manual. Do you have any sources?

Regards,

Mark

Its there now, I just checked.

Its on a web server owned by John Carrol, who very graciously offered
to host the file.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi again... I am able to connect to the ftp server, but it shows no files.
What am I doing wrong? I am able to connect to my own website and download
files ok. I am using smartftp.

Mark

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:37:37 -0700, "M" mark@maxmachinedotcom wrote:

Hey Gunner... a few months ago, you mentioned a Gorton book at this

site:

ftp://64.143.22.219/GortonPant_ALL.zip

It is not there now. I just acquired a P2-3 and would like to find a
manual. Do you have any sources?

Regards,

Mark

Its there now, I just checked.

Its on a web server owned by John Carrol, who very graciously offered
to host the file.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

M wrote:
Hi again... I am able to connect to the ftp server, but it shows no
files. What am I doing wrong? I am able to connect to my own website
and download files ok. I am using smartftp.

Mark,
Right click on the link and "Save As" to your computer.
You don't need an FTP client. Should you be unable to get this to work, send
me a private message and I'll create a directory for you to use. You would
then be able to see the contents of the directory and drag and drop the
file.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks! That worked! I have been an engraver for 30 years, but could never
justify spending the cash for one of these machines. One just sort of
"showed up on my doorstep" so to speak, and I couldn't resist. It has had
only two owners, and very light use. Came complete with all the collets, a
bunch of cutters, two copy tables, and some type. (including two sets of
spare belts!

This machine is really nicely made... from the "golden age" of machine tools
(the 50's and 60's). With the advent of CNC equipment, it is unlikely that
machines like this will ever be built again, let alone this high a quality.

If there is anyone else interested in these machines, there is a web site
devoted to the machines and the company that has been put up by the great
grandson of Geoge Gorton. All High resolution stuff, and copies of all the
accessories and some of the manuals. He has done a fantastic job. The link
is:

http://gorton-machine.org:8080/

Very interesting reading. The site is fairly recent, and I believe material
is still being added.

Now all I have to do is find a cutter sharpener that will hold those tapered
Gorton cutters!

Regards to all

Mark

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
t...
M wrote:
Hi again... I am able to connect to the ftp server, but it shows no
files. What am I doing wrong? I am able to connect to my own website
and download files ok. I am using smartftp.

Mark,
Right click on the link and "Save As" to your computer.
You don't need an FTP client. Should you be unable to get this to work,

send
me a private message and I'll create a directory for you to use. You would
then be able to see the contents of the directory and drag and drop the
file.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob May

I worked with a Gorton machine for a while and didn't use any tapered end
cutters. All of the cutters that I used were ground from 1/8" HSS stock or
Cobalt Steel stock. The other guy in the shop started using split stock (D
shaped) but I kept on with doing the round stock. We used a Gorton cutter
grinder to do all of the grinding and used a 220 grit wheel for the cutting.
Smallest cutter that I did was a 0.006" ballnose cutter.
When you setup for a new scale, I'd suggest that you make sure that the arms
do0 a square cut before trying to do any work. If you plan on a particular
size, you would also be wise to scratch a mark on the arms so that you can

Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:56:03 -0700, "M" mark@maxmachinedotcom wrote:

Hi again... I am able to connect to the ftp server, but it shows no files.
What am I doing wrong? I am able to connect to my own website and download
files ok. I am using smartftp.

Mark

Just click on it with any standard browser.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:52:26 -0700, "M" mark@maxmachinedotcom wrote:

[...]

Damnit..now I know why I got a very wierd response from Famco when I
asked them for info, so I could do just this.

Good for him!! Bravo! ****ing eh!!

Very interesting reading. The site is fairly recent, and I believe material
is still being added.

Now all I have to do is find a cutter sharpener that will hold those tapered
Gorton cutters!

Regards to all

Mark

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
et...
M wrote:
Hi again... I am able to connect to the ftp server, but it shows no
files. What am I doing wrong? I am able to connect to my own website
and download files ok. I am using smartftp.

Mark,
Right click on the link and "Save As" to your computer.
You don't need an FTP client. Should you be unable to get this to work,

send
me a private message and I'll create a directory for you to use. You would
then be able to see the contents of the directory and drag and drop the
file.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Thanks John!

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:52:26 -0700, "M" mark@maxmachinedotcom wrote:
If there is anyone else interested in these machines, there is a web site
devoted to the machines and the company that has been put up by the great
grandson of Geoge Gorton. All High resolution stuff, and copies of all the
accessories and some of the manuals. He has done a fantastic job. The link
is:

http://gorton-machine.org:8080/

Wow, what a great resource! Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

Gunner wrote:
Thanks John!

No Prob. Can we get back to politics now? LOL