Gunner

Default Gorton 016-A Mill?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:03:36 -0700, Bill Martin
wrote:

Marty Escarcega wrote:

Gunner wrote in
:

Gorton 016-A Mill

Never heard of it and can't find info on the web. What are the specs ol'
magnetic Iron man.....pics?

It's only kinda a mill...built to do engraving work, mostly. So of
course I never have
engraved anything with the one I got 20 years ago. It's a good sturdy
machine in a small
size.

It looks like a mill, has the table, about 12x 18 or so, power
downfeed, knee, full cross and in feed wheels etc.
It takes a really wierd collet. Of which there is a full set of
course, along with drill chuckes etc.

How do you ingrave with it? Other than really deep block letters?

Ill put some pictures up next weekend or email them to anyone
interested when I get them. Its still in place at the owners shop, I
spent Fri-Sat helping him clean up and move machines around. Sold a
couple as well.

A lurker here got a machine Id never paid much attention to, as it was
covered with crap and dust..A Logan 14" chucker, painted bright orange

When we had it out in the parking lot, the new owner started wiping it
down.. the ways and metal work were shining in the sun. I had to go
look at it up close..and the ways and the rest of the iron are nearly
mint. Sigh..and it has a threading gear box too, will thread down to
268 TPI. He got it for $500...

The sandblast cabinet and vacuum system were bought by another fellow
here for $50..and this after the owner quoted me $200...I sure could
have used that setup myself, given all the rusty stuff I drag
home......sigh again

Well..there is lots more :stuff: and we didnt even scratch the surface
getting the shop closed down..so maybe I can trade more labor for
stuff.

Oh..did I mention, I got the rest of the Myford accessories from that
lathe that was destroyed, (it was about 2 yrs ago that thread came and
went)...including 3 more drive/backplates, a couple NOS Bernard chucks
(wrapped in the boxes)..oh..and a drill press looking thingy that I
think is a drillpress/Milling head for the lathe. Says Myford on
it..shrug. And a bunch of other Myford stuff.
I wonder what I should do with it.....?

I also got a lifetime supply of grinding wheels for bench and surface
grinders, all shapes, colors and grits. Cup wheels, and 12" wheels and
everything in between. I think he tossed in something called a radius
dresser, whatever that is.....

And I brought home the Covel OD grinder, with coolant tanks and 30
gals grinding oil coolant, .....heavy *******..geeeze. Thats gonna
take some work getting that out of my trailer and hooked up...

There is still a Herbert turret lathe there, tooled, in decent shape,
for around $250-500, depending on the owners mood. Hell of a nice
lathe and more versitile than I though, once I started looking it
over, with crossfeeds and longitudnal feeds. That thing would be right
handy to have.

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs