Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Selection for Small Forklifts

I am interested in learning what is available for a SMALL forklift to
be used in a HSM environment.

Requirements would be a weight range of up to 3000 pounds and the need
to cover soft ground (i.e. one's backyard). For power, it would be nice
to be either LPG or electric because of the intermittent usage
expected. Total weight would be considered because one might want to
bring it along to load auction wins...the heavier the forklift, the
less one would have left to load on the trailer for machines before
reaching the weight limit of the trailer.

While on the subject, what is the SMALLEST forklift available in the
used market?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

Most old, cheap, available forklifts that are electric or propane
will probably have hard tires as used on concrete. They will not
have the large pneumatics required for dirt. The electrics
require a huge set of batteries (expensive) and the charger system
to go with them. Propane is just a gas engine (often dual fueled)
with a lot more things to go wrong.

You may be better off looking at skid steers (bobcat type loader)
with a set of forks. An old, small rig should be inexpensive,
fairly easy to trailer, and you might be able to rent it out to
the neighbors for other tasks.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am interested in learning what is available for a SMALL forklift to
be used in a HSM environment.

Requirements would be a weight range of up to 3000 pounds and the need
to cover soft ground (i.e. one's backyard). For power, it would be nice
to be either LPG or electric because of the intermittent usage
expected. Total weight would be considered because one might want to
bring it along to load auction wins...the heavier the forklift, the
less one would have left to load on the trailer for machines before
reaching the weight limit of the trailer.

While on the subject, what is the SMALLEST forklift available in the
used market?

Thanks

TMT

The closest thing to what you want is the "Spider" lifts that you see
stuck on the back of delivery semis. You aren't likely to find them on
the used market for a while and they won't be cheap.

Nearly everything on the used market will be a hard tire, low clearance
unit that requires a good paved surface. These units vastly outnumber
rough terrain units and so the few rough terrain units that make it to
the used market are either very expensive or very beat.

As has been noted, a skid steer with forks is good for rough terrain
however the skid steers are still quite expensive used if they have any
life left in them, and forks for them would be a rare find used since
they aren't all that popular and whoever has them will typically use
them on their next skid steer.

The best you can do at reasonable cost is to have a stack of plywood to
make a temporary road for a hard tire forklift when you need to go off
pavement. A double layer of 1/2" plywood (overlapped seams of course)
will handle a small forklift on reasonably solid ground.

A full sit down forklift is likely to weigh over 10,000# so they are not
transportable in any useful way for the average HSM. The walk behind or
stand up riding (I have a stand up rider) are going to be the lightest
for any given capacity since they have forward outriggers and don't have
to rely on counterweight.

Even the non-sitdown forklifts are not light. My 3,000# cap Yale
electric stand up rider weighs about 6,300# so just the forklift will
take up the capacity of a typical flatbed trailer. If you have an
alternate way to unload the trailer at home such as a gantry and chain
hoist you could potentially move things in two trips.

The better solution is to get a decent forklift for use at the home shop
only and a pallet jack and lifting gantry or engine hoist to carry on
your trailer. A pallet jack and a lifting gantry or engine hoist are the
lightest most capable and most transportable rigging equipment.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the discussion Pete...I think I am arriving at the same
conclusion as you have. I posted the topic to see if I had been
overlooking something. What weight range would you recommend for the
pallet jack/gantry/hoist? Any favorite brands? Any combination lifting
device you like?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thanks for the discussion Pete...I think I am arriving at the same
conclusion as you have. I posted the topic to see if I had been
overlooking something. What weight range would you recommend for the
pallet jack/gantry/hoist? Any favorite brands? Any combination lifting
device you like?

TMT

Any of the regular 5,000+ capacity pallet jacks should be just fine. I
have a 5,500# generic one that works well. The usual assortment of
engine hoists are also good, wider leg spacing is helpful. I don't have
a lifting gantry yet, but I'd think any of the available 2T rated units
would be good. I've built quick tripod supports for a chain hoist a few
times with good results.

Another thing that is very useful is one of the 4T (or 10T) portable
hydraulic kits. One of these and a good assortment of 2x and 4x cribbing
can let you gradually lift just about anything so that you can get it on
the pallet jack for mobility. A good long digging / chisel bar helps
lift things enough to get the hydraulics in place.

Another great thing to have in the rigging kit besides the obvious
slings / chains / shackles / cargo straps is a collection of Unistrut
(or equiv.) components. I have a toolbox full of 1/2" bolts, nuts,
washers, Unistrut nuts, Unistrut connector plates in various styles and
some 12" and 24" lengths of 1/2" threaded rod. This stuff is great for
rigging supports, load spreaders and other temporary constructions.

One or two of the generic ratchet cable pullers, a Hi-Lift mechanical
jack and some good sturdy vehicle type stands round out the kit pretty
well. One other item that is useful is a regular rope type block and
tackle or a small electric winch with a chain type base. Very useful for
getting things up and down long trailer ramps where stopping and
re-rigging short pull units is a pain.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"Pete C." wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

I have a 743 Bobcat and forks. The capacity is limited and any undulations
in the ground complicate manuevers with a load. The 800 series can pick up a
lot more, but less than a small forklift. Visibility is limited when the
forks are at box truck height. You will save yourself a lot of trouble if
you buy a trailer that has no or very low sides. The typical cheapo
Doolittle type landscape trailer with the tube rail along the sides
complicates loading and unloading tremendously.