Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Selection for Small Forklifts

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thanks for the discussion Pete...I think I am arriving at the same
conclusion as you have. I posted the topic to see if I had been
overlooking something. What weight range would you recommend for the
pallet jack/gantry/hoist? Any favorite brands? Any combination lifting
device you like?

TMT

Any of the regular 5,000+ capacity pallet jacks should be just fine. I
have a 5,500# generic one that works well. The usual assortment of
engine hoists are also good, wider leg spacing is helpful. I don't have
a lifting gantry yet, but I'd think any of the available 2T rated units
would be good. I've built quick tripod supports for a chain hoist a few
times with good results.

Another thing that is very useful is one of the 4T (or 10T) portable
hydraulic kits. One of these and a good assortment of 2x and 4x cribbing
can let you gradually lift just about anything so that you can get it on
the pallet jack for mobility. A good long digging / chisel bar helps
lift things enough to get the hydraulics in place.

Another great thing to have in the rigging kit besides the obvious
slings / chains / shackles / cargo straps is a collection of Unistrut
(or equiv.) components. I have a toolbox full of 1/2" bolts, nuts,
washers, Unistrut nuts, Unistrut connector plates in various styles and
some 12" and 24" lengths of 1/2" threaded rod. This stuff is great for
rigging supports, load spreaders and other temporary constructions.

One or two of the generic ratchet cable pullers, a Hi-Lift mechanical
jack and some good sturdy vehicle type stands round out the kit pretty
well. One other item that is useful is a regular rope type block and
tackle or a small electric winch with a chain type base. Very useful for
getting things up and down long trailer ramps where stopping and
re-rigging short pull units is a pain.

Pete C.