Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Mike Henry

Default Safely testing 22 kV capacitors

"Ignoramus27088" wrote in message
. ..
Got myself some capacitors for $10 apiece.

The specs are 22 kV, 1 uF, discharge capacitor. See

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/cap.jpg

The seller was wrong in describing them as 22 VOLT capacitors. They
are 22 KILO volt capacitors. (the seller is Fermilab).

Are you sure that Fermilab is the actual seller? Based on what I know of
DOE labs, it's not very likely that they would be selling direct on Ebay or
even to the public at large.

snip

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Roy L. Fuchs

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:51:35 -0600, "Mike Henry"
Gave us:

Are you sure that Fermilab is the actual seller? Based on what I know of
DOE labs, it's not very likely that they would be selling direct on Ebay or
even to the public at large.

snip

However, the seller would not likely be able to get away with using
the moniker either. I think it is legit, and I think they have
SEVERAL "liquidation expediters" in their employ. The prices of these
caps new means that whatever they can recover from the old change outs
is that little bit more toward the whole budget.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Mike Henry

"Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:51:35 -0600, "Mike Henry"
Gave us:

Are you sure that Fermilab is the actual seller? Based on what I know of
DOE labs, it's not very likely that they would be selling direct on Ebay
or
even to the public at large.

snip

However, the seller would not likely be able to get away with using
the moniker either. I think it is legit, and I think they have
SEVERAL "liquidation expediters" in their employ. The prices of these
caps new means that whatever they can recover from the old change outs
is that little bit more toward the whole budget.

It's more likely that lab "junk" is sold off for salvage and that the
salvagers or someone they've sold to are auctioning off the stuff. It seems
really unlikely to me that anyone at Fermi Lab, or DOE for that matter,
would bother to check Ebay seller names for usurpers of their "name". I
haven't checked, but would guess that Fermi Lab's budget is at least a few
hundred million dollars per year and technical staff probably bill out at
around $125 and up per hour. They'd have to get pretty good prices for
those caps at that rate to break even - did they?

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Ignoramus27098

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:59:46 GMT, Roy L Fuchs wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:51:35 -0600, "Mike Henry"
Gave us:

Are you sure that Fermilab is the actual seller? Based on what I know of
DOE labs, it's not very likely that they would be selling direct on Ebay or
even to the public at large.

snip

However, the seller would not likely be able to get away with using
the moniker either. I think it is legit, and I think they have
SEVERAL "liquidation expediters" in their employ. The prices of these
caps new means that whatever they can recover from the old change outs
is that little bit more toward the whole budget.

It is, doubtless, definitely Fermilab. I will go to him on tuesday
into Fermilab itself. I find it difficult to imagine a private
individual sellings his own things in this manner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,alt.marketing.online.ebay
Ignoramus27098

[alt.marketing.online.ebay -- I am talking about an item that I won
on ebay recently, see

]

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:51:39 -0600, Mike Henry wrote:

"Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in message
[...]

Mike, I am going to Fermilab to pick up these capacitors on Tuesday
and they want payment in form of checks made to Fermilab. They take my
check on the spot and do not require it to clear. I would be greatly
surprised if that was not a legitimate Fermilab operation.

I think that what we are observing is typical government/public funded
surplus bull****. I see the same stuff all over in military surplus.
Everyone is going through the motions ("we are auctioning surplus to
get highest competitive value"), but no one really cares to even
understand what they are selling or what it costs to sell that
stuff. Some things sell well for them (like high dollar electronic
test equipment sold one piece at a time), some do not.

Now if this item was adequately described with love and care, then, I
would suspect that it was not Fermilab but some private person who
actually cares to get money for his stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,alt.marketing.online.ebay
Mike Henry

wrote:

"Roy L. Fuchs" wrote in message
[...]

Well, it's pretty hard to argue with that scenario.

I work at a similar facility and will have to see if they are doing the same
sort of thing. Just the other day a Hardinge bed was sitting outside
waiting for disposition of some sort. The stuff that gets thrown out there
would make a die-hard scrounger cry, though most of it is probably entirely
used up.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:54:42 GMT, Ignoramus27098
Gave us:

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:59:46 GMT, Roy L Fuchs wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:51:35 -0600, "Mike Henry"
Gave us:

Are you sure that Fermilab is the actual seller? Based on what I know of
DOE labs, it's not very likely that they would be selling direct on Ebay or
even to the public at large.

snip

However, the seller would not likely be able to get away with using
the moniker either. I think it is legit, and I think they have
SEVERAL "liquidation expediters" in their employ. The prices of these
caps new means that whatever they can recover from the old change outs
is that little bit more toward the whole budget.

It is, doubtless, definitely Fermilab. I will go to him on tuesday
into Fermilab itself. I find it difficult to imagine a private
individual sellings his own things in this manner.

Yeah. Those caps have a very limited number of pulse cycles where
they are guaranteed to maintain their rated specs. After that they
are typically swapped out of a system for new components. The old
ones get used in the lab or get sold as a lot. That is very likely
what those are.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:17:21 GMT, Ignoramus26172
Gave us:

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 04:06:54 GMT, Roy L Fuchs wrote:
[...]

Hm... So... DO you think that they are now useless, or simply a little
out of spec?

They are probably fine. The spec is there so that the original
purchaser knows what to expect from them at their rated specs. They
are likely slightly lower in value, but they probably don't have any
holes punched through them, since they get used in systems where they
are used within their voltage spec.

They may be slightly off their original mark, or they my be right on
the money. Either way, maxwell makes some of the best HV pulse caps
in the world.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Ignoramus26172

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:50:36 GMT, Roy L Fuchs wrote:
[...]

Thanks Roy. That's encouraging. I will try to get appropriate HV
equipment and then will test the caps. I may keep one for myself.