Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Dave Hinz

Default Safely testing 22 kV capacitors

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:19:12 GMT, Ignoramus27088 wrote:
Got myself some capacitors for $10 apiece.

The specs are 22 kV, 1 uF, discharge capacitor.

Nice!

The seller was wrong in describing them as 22 VOLT capacitors. They
are 22 KILO volt capacitors. (the seller is Fermilab).

Wow, you'd think they'd have someone a bit more technical doing their
auction listings?

Anyway, here is my question. I have a 9 kV DC power supply. (a
Franceformer). How can I safely test these caps before selling
them. At 22 kV, they can store about as much energy as a .22 bullet,
according to my calculations.

Well, the DC going to a CRT is in the 20KV range for color sets, I
believe. Do you have a high voltage probe, and are you comfortable
working with that sort of voltage? (one-hand technique and all that)

So. What is a safe way to charge them, verify that they hold the
charge, and then DIScharge them at 9 kV.

You'd want to discharge it through a resistor, in a carefully insulated
circuit. Me, I'd pass, I can work with HV but I choose not to. Then
again, nobody is going to buy untested caps. They're not PCB-era, are
they? Because if they are, you just inherited someone else's problem.