Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 26th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111
 
Posts: n/a
Default KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper

are they for real ?

$89 gets u a set with that, plus base, arms and 1" dial digital
indicator.
Right on their home page ...

There's probably 2 shops in the whole nation that can hold these types
of tolerances, but still I am sure many of us wouldn't mind having 5
h-th
of resolution.


  #2   Report Post  
Old March 26th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos
 
Posts: n/a
Default KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper


"rashid111" wrote in message
ups.com...
are they for real ?

$89 gets u a set with that, plus base, arms and 1" dial digital
indicator.
Right on their home page ...

There's probably 2 shops in the whole nation that can hold these types
of tolerances, but still I am sure many of us wouldn't mind having 5
h-th
of resolution.


That they can resolve to .00005" through circuitry in no way means that they
will be capable of making measurements to the same degree of resolution.
My personal opinion is that they would be worthless for that purpose.
Calipers are prone to considerable error----often not able to resolve to a
thou, regardless of the capabilities of the electronics. There's too much
mechanical error in them----including variations from inside/outside jaws,
and springing of the jaws.

Holding tight tolerance isn't beyond the capability of many shops. I've
worked as closely as .000020", but I had the luxury of a certified
secondary standards lab at my disposal to do the measuring. It's almost
impossible for the normal shop to measure that close. I drew the line
at .0001" tolerance when I ran my commercial shop. Anything closer than
that was no-bid, citing my lack of ability to measure reliably.

Harold


  #3   Report Post  
Old March 27th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos
 
Posts: n/a
Default KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper


"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in message
...

snip-----

Now if someone can tell me how I concluded that post was about calipers,

I'd
be a happy camper. Anyone besides me ever have a brain fart like that?
Sigh.

Harold


Uhhhmm, Harold...

Do you figure that the header that reads, among other things, "caliper"
might've done it?

BDDT

Cheers
Trevor Jones


Chuckle! Thanks, Trevor.

One right after the other with me, eh?

When I read the comments without reading the title, I was at a loss to
explain my post. Yes, indeed, I did read caliper, and went off on my
tirade about their inability. My comments still stand, but I get the idea
that calipers are not what was really intended to be referenced by the OP.

Harold




  #4   Report Post  
Old March 28th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
LowEnergyParticle
 
Posts: n/a
Default KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper

All told, this is kind of a strange ad. If you hit the page with the
ad:
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm
and read the fine print, it says that the 0.000,05 accuracy is claimed
for the caliper ONLY. The included electronic dial guage is only good
to 0.001. Kind of backwards from the usual thing; I'd expect a caliper
and dial set to either have the same resolution, or the finer
resolution to be with the dial, not the caliper. Plus, as Harold noted
above, you're unlikely to actually get 0.000,05 out of a caliper
anyway.

Go figure :-)

Dave

  #5   Report Post  
Old March 28th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand
 
Posts: n/a
Default KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper

On 27 Mar 2006 17:52:13 -0800, "LowEnergyParticle"
wrote:

All told, this is kind of a strange ad. If you hit the page with the
ad:
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm
and read the fine print, it says that the 0.000,05 accuracy is claimed
for the caliper ONLY. The included electronic dial guage is only good
to 0.001. Kind of backwards from the usual thing; I'd expect a caliper
and dial set to either have the same resolution, or the finer
resolution to be with the dial, not the caliper. Plus, as Harold noted
above, you're unlikely to actually get 0.000,05 out of a caliper
anyway.

Go figure :-)

Dave


Maybe the sneaky devils are going metric for the caliper... 0.000,05 metres
would be about 2 thou :-0


Mark Rand
RTFM


  #6   Report Post  
Old March 28th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B
 
Posts: n/a
Default KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper

Mark Rand wrote:
On 27 Mar 2006 17:52:13 -0800, "LowEnergyParticle"
wrote:

All told, this is kind of a strange ad. If you hit the page with the
ad:
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm
and read the fine print, it says that the 0.000,05 accuracy is claimed
for the caliper ONLY. The included electronic dial guage is only good
to 0.001. Kind of backwards from the usual thing; I'd expect a caliper
and dial set to either have the same resolution, or the finer
resolution to be with the dial, not the caliper. Plus, as Harold noted
above, you're unlikely to actually get 0.000,05 out of a caliper
anyway.

Go figure :-)

Dave


Maybe the sneaky devils are going metric for the caliper... 0.000,05 metres
would be about 2 thou :-0


I figured it for furlongs
  #7   Report Post  
Old March 29th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner
 
Posts: n/a
Default KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:12:22 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:
On 27 Mar 2006 17:52:13 -0800, "LowEnergyParticle"
wrote:

All told, this is kind of a strange ad. If you hit the page with the
ad:
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm
and read the fine print, it says that the 0.000,05 accuracy is claimed
for the caliper ONLY. The included electronic dial guage is only good
to 0.001. Kind of backwards from the usual thing; I'd expect a caliper
and dial set to either have the same resolution, or the finer
resolution to be with the dial, not the caliper. Plus, as Harold noted
above, you're unlikely to actually get 0.000,05 out of a caliper
anyway.

Go figure :-)

Dave


Maybe the sneaky devils are going metric for the caliper... 0.000,05 metres
would be about 2 thou :-0


I figured it for furlongs


Cubits actually




"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
- Proverbs 22:3


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shortening caliper length? Gene T Metalworking 3 December 6th 05 03:27 PM
Low cost readout for digital caliper eganders Woodworking 10 November 13th 05 08:21 PM
Digital Caliper into Drill Press SRO Franklin Newton Metalworking 7 November 27th 04 12:03 AM
Mitutoyo caliper repair...HA! Tom Gardner Metalworking 4 March 4th 04 02:26 AM
Mounting a Mill-drill (Quill) DRO (Digital caliper) Steve Worcester Metalworking 1 September 3rd 03 07:07 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017