Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gene T

Default Shortening caliper length?

Hello all,
This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to shorten
a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale. What would be the
best method to cut this? I also realize that I will have to reattach the
stop. Thanks for any input!!!
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Gene T wrote:

This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to shorten
a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale.

They aren't realy hard, sometimes. I have cut one just with a hack saw.
But you also can use a angle grinder with a cutting disk. Try to keep it
cool! You might lose the last few mm's functionality, but it doesn't
matter, the electronics won't reach that part.

HTH,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

I did a 6" to 4" with a cut-off wheel and cleaned it up with a file. A
little superglue to keep the fiberglass from fraying. Drill and rivet the
stop back on. Works fine!

"Gene T" wrote in message
Hello all,
This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to
shorten a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale. What
would be the best method to cut this? I also realize that I will have to
reattach the stop. Thanks for any input!!!
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

This may seem like an odd post but has a last resort I may need to
shorten a 4 inch digital caliper with a hardened stainless scale. What
would be the best method to cut this? I also realize that I will have to
reattach the stop. Thanks for any input!!!

I believe someone recently posted a message about using one as a cheap DRO
scale and said they cut the jaws off with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool.

A quick Google search found this message:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...f4d2754d2d1766

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"