Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Default OT - Sandblasting Glass

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need to
make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is reasonable to
think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect across the glass
(round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher

Yep, its that easy, Just tape off areas not to be sandblasted. For tall
drinking glasses I stuffed them with paper then taped the opening closed. I
even blasted a one inch line around mayo jars to use for labelling.

Searcher

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"SteveF" wrote in message

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need
to make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is
reasonable to think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect
across the glass (round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

Even better, etch it with commercial glass etching liquid, available at any
stained glass hobby shop.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX1723&P=0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger

"SteveF" wrote in message

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need

make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is reasonable

think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect across the glass
(round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

I've been using a wet sand blaster for a couple of years now and its
a lot better safety wise than the dry/air one I was using.

No risk of silicosis is without doubt my favourite advantage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I have blasted acres of glass. go to rayzist.com and talk to a man named
Art.
It's easy and he's really cool

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:43:38 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Even better, etch it with commercial glass etching liquid,

In what way is any process that involves handling hydrofluoric acid
"better" than something that's a simple mechanical process ? That is
one hell of a nasty chemical, one I certainly won't handle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk

I have used fine grades of wet dry paper in the past to frost glass.

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:52:16 -0500, SteveF penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.crafts.metalworking:

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need to
make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is reasonable to
think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect across the glass
(round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

Acid etch may be a better process than blasting, if you don't have the
right media. We used to frost and cut glass using a sandblaster, but
we only used extreme flour grades of carborundum.

You are going to have to adjust the process to match your desired
result....

jk

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
"Faux" sandblasting glass uncle k Home Repair 5 November 14th 05 05:24 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM