DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - Sandblasting Glass (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/150712-ot-sandblasting-glass.html)

SteveF March 26th 06 12:52 PM

OT - Sandblasting Glass

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need to
make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is reasonable to
think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect across the glass
(round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

Searcher March 26th 06 01:07 PM

OT - Sandblasting Glass

Yep, its that easy, Just tape off areas not to be sandblasted. For tall
drinking glasses I stuffed them with paper then taped the opening closed. I
even blasted a one inch line around mayo jars to use for labelling.

Searcher

Tom Gardner March 26th 06 04:43 PM

OT - Sandblasting Glass

"SteveF" wrote in message

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need
to make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is
reasonable to think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect
across the glass (round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

Even better, etch it with commercial glass etching liquid, available at any
stained glass hobby shop.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX1723&P=0

Roger March 27th 06 10:19 AM

OT - Sandblasting Glass

"SteveF" wrote in message

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need

make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is reasonable

think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect across the glass
(round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

I've been using a wet sand blaster for a couple of years now and its
a lot better safety wise than the dry/air one I was using.

No risk of silicosis is without doubt my favourite advantage.

daniel peterman March 27th 06 03:08 PM

OT - Sandblasting Glass

I have blasted acres of glass. go to rayzist.com and talk to a man named
Art.
It's easy and he's really cool

Andy Dingley March 28th 06 01:13 AM

OT - Sandblasting Glass

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:43:38 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Even better, etch it with commercial glass etching liquid,

In what way is any process that involves handling hydrofluoric acid
"better" than something that's a simple mechanical process ? That is
one hell of a nasty chemical, one I certainly won't handle.

jk March 28th 06 03:30 AM

OT - Sandblasting Glass

I have used fine grades of wet dry paper in the past to frost glass.

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:52:16 -0500, SteveF penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.crafts.metalworking:

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need to
make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is reasonable to
think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect across the glass
(round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks.
Steve.

Acid etch may be a better process than blasting, if you don't have the
right media. We used to frost and cut glass using a sandblaster, but
we only used extreme flour grades of carborundum.

You are going to have to adjust the process to match your desired
result....

jk