Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving Myford Lathe

We are moving house and need to get my Myford Super 7 up the basement
stairs. To reduce the weight, I would like to remove the motor and the
headstock. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the handbook and need to
know what is involved in removing the headstock assembly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pdav,
open the headstock cover and look down inside.
There are 4 socket screws. A ball end hex key might reach them,
otherwise
the spindle will have to come out. The left rear screw is partially
obscured
by the V pulley. Use a 7/32" Allen Key.
All the S7 screws are Whitworth or BA (NOT Metric).
RichD

wrote:
We are moving house and need to get my Myford Super 7 up the basement
stairs. To reduce the weight, I would like to remove the motor and the
headstock. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the handbook and need to
know what is involved in removing the headstock assembly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Before removing the headstock I would check whether you are going to
have to redo the headstock alignment after replacing it and if so
whether you have the equipment and are prepared to do that. From my
little knowledge of the Myford, 2 of my immediate neighbours have them,
its not a heavy lathe and would have thought other means could be
employed to avoid having to remove the headstock assembly.

wrote:

We are moving house and need to get my Myford Super 7 up the basement
stairs. To reduce the weight, I would like to remove the motor and the
headstock. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the handbook and need to
know what is involved in removing the headstock assembly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To add to my reply,
I forgot to mention, there are 2 slotted setscrews along the front way
that hold
the headstock in position (maybe used for alignment). These need to be
slacked off.
If you have a Quickchange Gearbox, this will have to be removed as well
to access
the left screw.
Whatch for any shims that may be along the rear way as you lift off the
headstock.
RichD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

We are moving house and need to get my Myford Super 7 up the basement
stairs. To reduce the weight, I would like to remove the motor and the
headstock. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the handbook and need to
know what is involved in removing the headstock assembly.

HOWEVER
Removing the headstock also reduces the maximum hight of the lathe,
making it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to maneuver up the stairs ----------
Mine is in the garage for several pretty good reasons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

wrote:

We are moving house and need to get my Myford Super 7 up the basement
stairs. To reduce the weight, I would like to remove the motor and the
headstock. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the handbook and need to
know what is involved in removing the headstock assembly.

I agree. I moved my 11" Delta bed and headstock in one go with a
refrigerator dolly. Mind you, it was going down, not up, but it's far
heavier than a Myford and went o.k. I had my large son on a belaying
line while I let it down and controlled it from above.

If you could get help with a line or rope on a refrigerator dolly, I
think it'd come up fine with the headstock end at the bottom and extra
lashings low on the dolly to keep it secure. The normal dolly strap
would work well on the tailstock end.

Good luck.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Really appreciate all the suggestions. We emigrated to Canada from the
UK with the Myford in 1975 when I was aged 39. Getting it down the
basement stairs in one piece was then a fun challange and gravity also
helped. 31 years later, (you can calculate my age), getting it up (the
stairs) will be an even bigger challange. Still, I will remove the
tailstock, cross slide and motor and get one of the Grandchildren to
help.
Incidently, my passion is Stuart Turner stationary steam engines.

Regards

Pete Davenport

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Really appreciate all the suggestions. We emigrated to Canada from the
UK with the Myford in 1975 when I was aged 39. Getting it down the
basement stairs in one piece was then a fun challange and gravity also
helped. 31 years later, (you can calculate my age), getting it up (the
stairs) will be an even bigger challange. Still, I will remove the
tailstock, cross slide and motor and get one of the Grandchildren to
help.
Incidently, my passion is Stuart Turner stationary steam engines.

Regards

Pete Davenport

Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2) [email protected] Metalworking 22 March 4th 06 04:47 PM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM
Myford lathe bed reconditioning in Atlanta. area? Dean Metalworking 2 September 2nd 03 02:08 PM