Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Moving Myford Lathe

wrote:

We are moving house and need to get my Myford Super 7 up the basement
stairs. To reduce the weight, I would like to remove the motor and the
headstock. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the handbook and need to
know what is involved in removing the headstock assembly.

Leave the headstock on, remove the motor and countershaft unit off the
back.You can also remove the topsplide/crosslide as an assembly by
cranking it off with the feedscrew.

I carried mine down and back up a set of stairs by myself with little
difficulty. If you are uncertain or unwilling to do that, use a
furniture cart with the lathe bed firmly strapped onto it. One guy runs
the handle, the other can guide fom below and aid in the lifting from
stair to stair.

Removal of the headstock is just making more work for yourself in the
dissasembly/assembly.

If you are hell's bent on it's removal, the bolts are under the
spindle, fore and aft of it.

Cheers
Trevor Jones