Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
The Baron

Default Unbelievable accuracy from a walmart watch

Not so amazing , but one from Burger King would be.

"Ignoramus30509" wrote The result
is that the watch is not even by one second off!!!
Obviously, there are limits to my own precision in how I pressed the
return key right when the watch ticked :00, plus the OS delay in
starting "date", but in any case I could not detect any difference.

I find it rather amazing, really.

Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:16:10 GMT, "The Baron"
wrote:

Not so amazing , but one from Burger King would be.

interesting you should make that comment.
here in australia many years ago hungry jack's the australian burger
king clone gave away/sold watches for kids for a dollar.
they came in square and triangular shapes with either a clip back or a
wrist band.

a triangular one with a clip was attached by me to the airconditioned
window of our computer room. at a constant 20 degrees C it kept
perfect time for nearly 2 years. certainly far far better time than
our mainframe.

these little quartz circuits can be stunningly accurate.
Stealth Pilot

Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

Not so amazing , but one from Burger King would be.

interesting you should make that comment.
here in australia many years ago hungry jack's the australian burger
king clone gave away/sold watches for kids for a dollar.
they came in square and triangular shapes with either a clip back or a
wrist band.

a triangular one with a clip was attached by me to the airconditioned
window of our computer room. at a constant 20 degrees C it kept
perfect time for nearly 2 years. certainly far far better time than
our mainframe.

these little quartz circuits can be stunningly accurate.
Stealth Pilot

Here's the data sheet for a typical tuning-fork style watch crystal:
http://www.ecsxtal.com/pdf/ecs-3x8.pdf

Initial tolerance +/-20ppm, typically changing only about -5ppm for a
+/-10°C change (centered around 25°C).

20 parts per million is 20/10^6 * 365.25 * 24 * 60 = 10 minutes per
year.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to The Baron :

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

interesting you should make that comment.
here in australia many years ago hungry jack's the australian burger
king clone gave away/sold watches for kids for a dollar.

[ ... ]

a triangular one with a clip was attached by me to the airconditioned
window of our computer room. at a constant 20 degrees C it kept
perfect time for nearly 2 years. certainly far far better time than
our mainframe.

these little quartz circuits can be stunningly accurate.
Stealth Pilot

My experience is that they might run for a week.

The difference might be the environment. Ones on the wrists of
little kids would lead a hard life. One stuck to the window of a
constant temperature computer room was living a charmed life by
comparison.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

However - that is the basic xtal. Now for the stabilized one. Temp control.
Proper cut. Post filter and amplifier circuit. Yep - was in the business
of getting Silicon Xtals and various frequencies possible into production at
a semi house.

Not just a simple xtal one plugs into a CB!

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Martin H. Eastburn :
However - that is the basic xtal. Now for the stabilized one. Temp control.
Proper cut. Post filter and amplifier circuit. Yep - was in the business
of getting Silicon Xtals and various frequencies possible into production at
a semi house.

Not just a simple xtal one plugs into a CB!

Weren't the ones for watches cut in a tuning fork shape, so you
could get a very low frequency in a very small package?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
przemek klosowski

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:39:50 -0500, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Here's the data sheet for a typical tuning-fork style watch crystal:
http://www.ecsxtal.com/pdf/ecs-3x8.pdf

Initial tolerance +/-20ppm, typically changing only about -5ppm for a
+/-10°C change (centered around 25°C).

If you carry it around on your wrist most of the time (I have a leather
band and I only take it off for showers/pools/etc), the temperature
is stable to within 1°C or so: 0.5 ppm is approx. 1 sec / month.
I actually see something like that on my $35 Timex.

Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Some used mechanical filtering by that method - not only electric stimulated but
mechanical feedback to maintain. Laser cut (trim) as needed.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member