Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Default Unbelievable accuracy from a walmart watch

No shootski. The best example of value I have is a cheapy plastic LCD
watch I got at 7-11 some 20-25 years ago. $5.00. It kept PERFECT time
for 10+ years until the battery died. Astounding accuracy, to a few
seconds per year.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus30509 wrote:
A week ago I posted a surprised message about a $6 watch from walmart
that seemed to be accurate.

I have a little more data now.

About 2 weeks ago, I set this watch very accurately to time that is
kept by syncronizing with an NTP server (atomic clock), to the second.

Today I checked time again whiel trying to be very good at catching
the right moment. I typed "date" and pressed ENTER just as the arm of
the watch passed :00:00.

The result is that the watch is not even by one second off!!!
Obviously, there are limits to my own precision in how I pressed the
return key right when the watch ticked :00, plus the OS delay in
starting "date", but in any case I could not detect any difference.

I find it rather amazing, really.

The watch is a quartz watch with hands, "water resistant".

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"