Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Unbelievable accuracy from a walmart watch

However - that is the basic xtal. Now for the stabilized one. Temp control.
Proper cut. Post filter and amplifier circuit. Yep - was in the business
of getting Silicon Xtals and various frequencies possible into production at
a semi house.

Not just a simple xtal one plugs into a CB!

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:15:39 +0800, the renowned Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:16:10 GMT, "The Baron"
wrote:

Not so amazing , but one from Burger King would be.

interesting you should make that comment.
here in australia many years ago hungry jack's the australian burger
king clone gave away/sold watches for kids for a dollar.
they came in square and triangular shapes with either a clip back or a
wrist band.

a triangular one with a clip was attached by me to the airconditioned
window of our computer room. at a constant 20 degrees C it kept
perfect time for nearly 2 years. certainly far far better time than
our mainframe.

these little quartz circuits can be stunningly accurate.
Stealth Pilot

Here's the data sheet for a typical tuning-fork style watch crystal:
http://www.ecsxtal.com/pdf/ecs-3x8.pdf

Initial tolerance +/-20ppm, typically changing only about -5ppm for a
+/-10°C change (centered around 25°C).

20 parts per million is 20/10^6 * 365.25 * 24 * 60 = 10 minutes per
year.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany