Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default PV'd butt again...

Awl--

You'd think, after varying degrees of success in burning out/down pert near
everygoddamm thing in my goddamm shop, that I'd also burn down the
near-absolutely useless machines I got--yer 12 and 16 speed import drill
presses, w/ the three pulleys up top. Apparently these POS's are bullet AND
fire AND burnout proof.

I've had the 16 speed 5/8 chuck/floor standing unit for years, and then
yesterday I got the slightly smaller 12 speed version (real cheap), figger
it'd come in handy. So, for the first time I looked at the speed chart (3
pulleys) on my 16 speed jobby, and noticed,
Goddamm, with all these g-d speeds, there are NONE between 800 and 1200
rpm!!!!!!
Of all the g-d places to omit speeds!!

So's now I scrutinize the 12 speed jobby.
Already I had to pop the pinion pin ditty, and bush the crank gear so's it
would at least stay on the g-d rack teeth, for raising/lowering the table.
So's now, ahm perty pleased w/ myself, and sort of just assumed that THIS
drillpress would at least give me 1,000 rpm. Not quite.
THIS ditty goes from 770 rpm to.... are you ready???
** 1550 ** rpm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing in between.
Assuming the speed chart is correct.

Help me out he

How does one even attempt to comprehend this drilling insanity?? This has
GOT to be a Chinese **** You to HSM'ing 'merkins. Gotta be.

So what to do?

I figger I got two choices, other than oxy-acetylene-ing this thing, or
doing nothing at all.
1. Put a 3 phase motor on it, w/ a VFD I'm eventually going to get.
2. Eliminate the middle pulley, and try to get 4 or five reasonable speeds
out of the two end pulleys, and hope all the diameter combinations
accommodate the same belt.

Would be interested to know if other people w/ the 12/16 speed 3-pulley
jobbies have siimilar gaps in their rpm ranges. Inneresting, as I realize in
hindsight, that they never listed the speeds in any blurbs, etc.

I think that, after all is said and done, after our social/economic ruin,
the only jobs that will be left for our kids will be telemarketing.... in
chinese. Goodgawd....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hogleg

Forget your meds today?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike

mine goes from 540 to 1150 to 1550.....guess there is a gap in mine also
but in a different place.

Goddamm, with all these g-d speeds, there are NONE between 800 and 1200
rpm!!!!!!
Of all the g-d places to omit speeds!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Hey Ig, are you on meds, too??
Are they workin??

Or was he talkin to me???
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Hogleg" wrote in message
oups.com...

Forget your meds today?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols

In article ,
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
: So, for the first time I looked at the speed chart (3
ulleys) on my 16 speed jobby, and noticed,
:Goddamm, with all these g-d speeds, there are NONE between 800 and 1200
:rpm!!!!!!
:So's now I scrutinize the 12 speed jobby.
:THIS ditty goes from 770 rpm to.... are you ready???
: ** 1550 ** rpm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:Nothing in between.

It's pretty much inevitable that there will be a big gap in the speeds
at the point where you switch from motor-belt-above-spindle-belt to
motor-belt-below-spindle-belt on the pulleys. On my 16-speed H-F
Chinese special it's from 870 RPM to 1440 RPM. All my machines have
180VDC motors with KB Electronics speed controls, so that gap isn't a
concern for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Well, lessee....
My HF 16 spd 3 pulley jobbie:
215
330
350
470
520
540
620
750
780
820
1400
1540
1700
2100
2350
3250
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:34:30 +0000 (UTC), Robert Nichols
wrote:

In article ,
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
: So, for the first time I looked at the speed chart (3
ulleys) on my 16 speed jobby, and noticed,
:Goddamm, with all these g-d speeds, there are NONE between 800 and 1200
:rpm!!!!!!
:So's now I scrutinize the 12 speed jobby.
:THIS ditty goes from 770 rpm to.... are you ready???
: ** 1550 ** rpm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:Nothing in between.

It's pretty much inevitable that there will be a big gap in the speeds
at the point where you switch from motor-belt-above-spindle-belt to
motor-belt-below-spindle-belt on the pulleys. On my 16-speed H-F
Chinese special it's from 870 RPM to 1440 RPM. All my machines have
180VDC motors with KB Electronics speed controls, so that gap isn't a
concern for me.

My 16" AMERICAN made Delta had a serious gap in there too..so it now
sports a 3/4hp 3ph motor and an elderly Horizon VFD.. so its not an
issue either

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby

Default PV'd butt again... / drill press speeds

JR North wrote:

Well, lessee....
My HF 16 spd 3 pulley jobbie:
215
330

3250

My floor-standing HF 1987 Taiwan 16 spd 3 pulley
model 583 with 60 Hz 1720 rpm motor has similar but
different speeds ... must have different pulley sets
or motor. Below, I copied your speeds & added mine:
215 170
330 290
350 350
470 430
520 500
540 580
620 640
750 720
780 800
820 870
1400 1440
1540 1630
1700 1620
2100 2380
2350 2540
3250 3800

The pulley diagram inside the top lid of mine
also lists 50 Hz speeds, 5/6 as fast.
-jiw

Butt joint glue up without clamps? Fred Woodworking 5 September 21st 05 03:03 PM
Location of butt Stephen Gower UK diy 15 July 21st 05 08:21 AM
Pump to move rainwater butt water up about 15ft ... Jethro UK diy 42 May 20th 05 11:44 PM
Rain butt fill problem Broadback UK diy 11 May 19th 05 10:56 PM
Butt Hole Road? Jim Dauven Metalworking 17 October 27th 03 02:37 AM