Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

Default has anyone converted a cross slide screw to metric.

I have a much loved old hercus lathe that has an imperial thread
cross slide. (for the americans the lathe is a clone of a south bend)

what is the best metric equivalent for a robust cross slide thread?
is the acme threadform the best for a leadscrew?

I have only used a cross slide that worked in metric once for 10
minutes and I was amazed at how much faster the work proceeded when
the cross slide was actually marked in the dimension system you are
using.

note that I'm not seeking theoretical information just practical
experiences on what works best.

Stealth Pilot
Australia

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

what is the best metric equivalent for a robust cross slide thread?
is the acme threadform the best for a leadscrew?

I see this company offers an assortment of lead screws:
http://www.nookindustries.com/pdf/Nook_57.pdf

Looks like a 12mm x 1.5mm lead left hand would be closest to your needs.
They have many other offerings.

Don't know if they will ship down under.

Big snow storm here in Minnesota,USA today. Bet its a bit warmer for you.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Stealth Pilot wrote:

I have a much loved old hercus lathe that has an imperial thread
cross slide. (for the americans the lathe is a clone of a south bend)

what is the best metric equivalent for a robust cross slide thread?
is the acme threadform the best for a leadscrew?

I have only used a cross slide that worked in metric once for 10
minutes and I was amazed at how much faster the work proceeded when
the cross slide was actually marked in the dimension system you are
using.

note that I'm not seeking theoretical information just practical
experiences on what works best.

Stealth Pilot
Australia

As you are aware, the Hercus is a licenced copy of a South Bend. So is
a Boxford.

If you were to dig around a bit online, I expect you will be able to
find the metric conversion parts for one of these, or at least the specs
for same. I know that there were a lot of metric SB and Boxford lathes
bought into the school shop system here in Canada, so they were out
there.
I am thinking that the parts are likely interchangeable or would be so
with very minor adaptation.

Probably want a 2 mm pitch.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

Agreed.
Our school (western Sydney) has four metric Hercuses (Hercii?), and the
pitch is 2mm on the cross slide.
Rather than reinventing wheels, I'm sure Hercus in SA could help here.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

thanks guys I have what I need to work on.
wasnt aware of the boxford relationship I have to admit.

the old AH series Hercus wouldnt pass an occ health and safety audit
in a fit with it's exposed belts but it is the most wonderfully
ergonomic machine I have ever used ...apart from my little homebuilt
aeroplane.
Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Stealth Pilot wrote:

the old AH series Hercus wouldnt pass an occ health and safety audit
in a fit with it's exposed belts but it is the most wonderfully
ergonomic machine I have ever used ...apart from my little homebuilt

Belt guards are not that difficult a project - especially if you make
them while you still have all your parts, rather than waiting until some
parts have gone missing...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chas

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

The metric cross slide screw is 11mm x 2mm Acme, LH. You could try Hercus
(now Axmel) in S.A. for the parts, or perhaps Mick Moyle's Engineering in
Summer Hill NSW could help. They had Hercus metric lead-screws and nuts last
time I was in there.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me replace 'xxx' with tango papa golf)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:34:06 +1100, "Chas" wrote:

u...

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

Metric? Thats that Frog measurement aint it?

Gunner, running for cover......

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:36:58 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

The metric cross slide screw is 11mm x 2mm Acme, LH. You could try Hercus
(now Axmel) in S.A. for the parts, or perhaps Mick Moyle's Engineering in
Summer Hill NSW could help. They had Hercus metric lead-screws and nuts last
time I was in there.

Metric? Thats that Frog measurement aint it?

Gunner, running for cover......

no, in my case it is american measurement :-)
the americans have been metric now for 103 years and still we have
aviation in number bolts and unf, unc, and AN.

a number sequence that goes 5/64, 3/32,7/64,1/8 is utterly mind
numbing to me.
I prefer 1.95, 2.35,2.75,3.10 which makes perfect sense to me.

I prefer to work in metric. my treasured german imperial vernier is
marked in 128ths of an inch which I also find easier.

its just me
Stealth Pilot.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

wrote:

The metric cross slide screw is 11mm x 2mm Acme, LH. You could try Hercus
(now Axmel) in S.A. for the parts, or perhaps Mick Moyle's Engineering in
Summer Hill NSW could help. They had Hercus metric lead-screws and nuts
last time I was in there.

Metric? Thats that Frog measurement aint it?

Gunner, running for cover......

no, in my case it is american measurement :-)
the americans have been metric now for 103 years and still we have
aviation in number bolts and unf, unc, and AN.

a number sequence that goes 5/64, 3/32,7/64,1/8 is utterly mind
numbing to me.
I prefer 1.95, 2.35,2.75,3.10 which makes perfect sense to me.

I've never seen a machine tool marked in 64ths. Always in
decimal--.1, .01, .001, etc. Sometimes it might go .002 or .005 or .05 or
whatever depending on the precision of the control.

Binary fractions (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc) are more typical of architectural
design than mechanical engineering.

I prefer to work in metric. my treasured german imperial vernier is
marked in 128ths of an inch which I also find easier.

its just me
Stealth Pilot.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

The metric cross slide screw is 11mm x 2mm Acme, LH. You could try Hercus
(now Axmel) in S.A. for the parts, or perhaps Mick Moyle's Engineering in
Summer Hill NSW could help. They had Hercus metric lead-screws and nuts
last time I was in there.

Metric? Thats that Frog measurement aint it?

Gunner, running for cover......

no, in my case it is american measurement :-)
the americans have been metric now for 103 years and still we have
aviation in number bolts and unf, unc, and AN.

a number sequence that goes 5/64, 3/32,7/64,1/8 is utterly mind
numbing to me.
I prefer 1.95, 2.35,2.75,3.10 which makes perfect sense to me.

I've never seen a machine tool marked in 64ths. Always in
decimal--.1, .01, .001, etc. Sometimes it might go .002 or .005 or .05 or
whatever depending on the precision of the control.

Indeed.

Binary fractions (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc) are more typical of architectural
design than mechanical engineering.

Or carpentry.
I prefer to work in metric. my treasured german imperial vernier is
marked in 128ths of an inch which I also find easier.

its just me
Stealth Pilot.

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:
I have a much loved old hercus lathe that has an imperial thread
cross slide. (for the americans the lathe is a clone of a south bend)

what is the best metric equivalent for a robust cross slide thread?
is the acme threadform the best for a leadscrew?

I have only used a cross slide that worked in metric once for 10
minutes and I was amazed at how much faster the work proceeded when
the cross slide was actually marked in the dimension system you are
using.

note that I'm not seeking theoretical information just practical
experiences on what works best.

Stealth Pilot
Australia

As long as you are going to buy or make some parts, find some pieces of
a DRO.
I got a Heidenhain scale, from eBay, and all the other parts to add a
set of scales to my lathe, for under $200. And now I can read Diameter,
yes Diameter in either .0001" or .002 mm units with the flip of a
switch.
It is Well worth every dime of the conversion!! And I never again look
at the dials.
Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Karl Townsend remove .NOT:
what is the best metric equivalent for a robust cross slide thread?
is the acme threadform the best for a leadscrew?

I see this company offers an assortment of lead screws:
http://www.nookindustries.com/pdf/Nook_57.pdf

Looks like a 12mm x 1.5mm lead left hand would be closest to your needs.
They have many other offerings.

I agree with the 12mm diameter.

However, I'm not at all sure that a 1.5mm lead would be very
comfortable to work with. I would suggest aiming for 1.0mm or 2.0mm, so
the dial can be calibrated in something which would add up with
subsequent turns nicely. Having to deal with 1-1/2 mm per turn would
seem to be a pain.

Of course, the real limiting factor is what standard threads you
can find taps for.

And I find myself wondering whether your machine has a metric
leadscrew. If so, you could cut your own thread for the cross-slide
leadscrew -- and you could even make your own custom tap if necessary to
produce the matching nut at a pitch which would be reasonable.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564