Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to lower pressure in air compressor?

I have an air compressor which gives out to high of a psi. I want to
lower the output psi. I have a complete machine shop, and know how to
take the compressor all apart. How would I lower the output PSI?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On 2 Mar 2006 10:26:18 -0800, wrote:

I have an air compressor which gives out to high of a psi. I want to
lower the output psi. I have a complete machine shop, and know how to
take the compressor all apart. How would I lower the output PSI?

Get an air pressure regulator and plumb it into the main line going
out to your shop equipment, then you can turn down the pressure to the
shop lines wherever you want, and fast. It should have an air filter
in front of it, jut in case any dirt or rust gets out of the
compressor receiver tank.

If the compressor runs fine as-is, do NOT lower the pressure in the
receiver tank by resetting the pressure switch - this lowers the
volume of air stored in the tank, and will have the compressor cycling
on too often.

You don't want the compressor to cycle more than 5 or 6 times an
hour unless you are sandblasting or using a LOT of air for a short
period - too many starts per hour over the long term can damage the
starting circuit in the electric motor, and the repeated starting
surges play hell with your demand load on commercial power services.

If your shop uses a lot of air all day, you may want to upgrade to a
'screw type' rotary compressor, which works like a Roots Supercharger
- during the work day when you use a lot of air they leave the motor
running all day and the control system modulates the compressor
section from 'off' to 'wide open' to match the loads.

This is the same tech used in the towable compressors used for
jackhammers, except they also throttle the engine down to save fuel
when the compressor section is unloaded.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545