K Frazier

Default old car question

A man stopped by my shop just now with a distributor for a '49 Chevy, the
bushing are worn he wants me to make some new ones. Anyone know how to take
it apart? I can't figure it out.
Any tips from those who have done this?
Thanks in advance,

Kent

Jim Stewart

turnitdown wrote:

Most distributors have a drive gear that is held on by a taper or split pin-
remove the gear and the entire drive shaft will come out of the housing- "K
Frazier" wrote in message

My '68 Mustang had a shear pin holing the gear
on. Don't ask how I knew it was a shear pin (:

A man stopped by my shop just now with a distributor for a '49 Chevy, the
bushing are worn he wants me to make some new ones. Anyone know how to

take

it apart? I can't figure it out.
Any tips from those who have done this?
Thanks in advance,

Kent

jim rozen

In article k.net, turnitdown
says...

Most distributors have a drive gear that is held on by a taper or split pin-
remove the gear and the entire drive shaft will come out of the housing-

Or a roll pin through the gear.

This was as standard repair at one time, new oilite bushings
in the housing. Of course, those distributors also used to
come standard with an oil cup or grease fittings.

Jim

please reply to:

Erik

In article ,
"K Frazier" wrote:

A man stopped by my shop just now with a distributor for a '49 Chevy, the
bushing are worn he wants me to make some new ones. Anyone know how to take
it apart? I can't figure it out.
Any tips from those who have done this?
Thanks in advance,

Kent

I bet you could find new bushings for it if you Google around a
little... you'd be amazed what you can find...

Erik

Erik

In article ,
Erik wrote:

In article ,
"K Frazier" wrote:

A man stopped by my shop just now with a distributor for a '49 Chevy, the
bushing are worn he wants me to make some new ones. Anyone know how to take
it apart? I can't figure it out.
Any tips from those who have done this?
Thanks in advance,

Kent

I bet you could find new bushings for it if you Google around a
little... you'd be amazed what you can find...

Erik

Like maybe this one... don't know anything about this site, other than
Google came up with it searching on 'distributor bushings'

http://www.car-nection.com/yesteryear

Good Luck!

Erik
bzzzt

K Frazier wrote:
A man stopped by my shop just now with a distributor for a '49 Chevy, the
bushing are worn he wants me to make some new ones. Anyone know how to take
it apart? I can't figure it out.
Any tips from those who have done this?
Thanks in advance,

Kent

Here is the shop manual:
http://1946to1954chevys.web1000.com/...ical/12_35.htm

Hope it works, section 12-35

James Lerch

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:17:04 GMT, Jim Stewart
wrote:

My '68 Mustang had a shear pin holing the gear
on. Don't ask how I knew it was a shear pin (:

Yours sheared off too, huh?
Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge

Kent Frazier

Guys,
It never ceases to amaze me.
A source for parts and a manual.
Thanks to all that responded!
Regards to all,

Kent

Leo Lichtman

"Tom Gardner" wrote: What's the dif. between a sheer
pin and a shear pin? (clip)
A shear pin is a pin designed to act as a mechanical "fuze," limiting the
amount of torque. A sheer pin is a safety pin or straight pin used to
attach layers of very thin silk or other fabric which you can see through.
It could also be a pin that you can see through. G

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM